one thought

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Excuse me but I have a question for all you.
I traveled this forum for just few months and I have seen wonderful things well made. I think that those wonderful things demand much time to be achieved. Is it true? And I wonder: where do they find the time to do woodworking.
At home, I haven't a lot of time. I stand up at morning about 6.00 am, I prepare breakfast for my child and bring him at school. After I go at work where I arrive about 9.00 am. At evening I come back home about 18.30 pm where there is a little child who waits me. I can't to do anything. The only time when I could to do something is on the weekend, but I am moving home and therefore woodworking is off. The only things which I have done are done when I did not go to work at the new house.
I think that the time to dedicate for woodworking,( when I will have achieved house) will be only on weekend or when I will be retired from work .
However, I will continue to learn by this forum, and I excuse myself if I cannot to help someone with the experience which, unfortunately, I can't to do now.

Geppetto,

I find I have very limited time for my hobby. You just have to squeeze in a moment where you can find it. I've got most of the DIY/Garden jobs on my house finished at the moment, so find I do get some time in the workshop. The year I transformed the garden I spent only an occasional hour in the workshop for the entire spring/summer. I've fairly much completed my tool purchases, and built my workshop so find I can work quite efficiently once I do find the time.

Having a selection of tools to choose from does help as you are always working with the "optimum" tool - and hence it's quicker.

Having children though, I think, seems to be the thing that really puts a lid on it!

Adam

Adam":8wx9m0s1 said:
Geppetto,

I.....the workshop for the entire spring/summer. ...
Adam

Hi Adam,

Only to Know some things for my future workshop:
I have seen on your web site your workshop; how is the size of your??

Geppeto

same here for me

I try to get an hour in the workshop twice a week in the evening, straight after tea (8.00-9.00) - on the nights when my wife put's my daughter to bed rather than me doing it.

I also usually manage 1/2 day at the weekend - usually sunday afternoon :?

Geppetto,
If you think there is not enough time when you have one child can you imagine what happens when the second child becomes twins!

With the demands on my time (which I do not begrudge) there is also the problem with sleep. That is if all three of them are asleep by 8.00pm and I do two hours in the workshop you can bet that (the twins expecially) will wake at least 2-4 times between them & I will end up with 4-6 hours of broken sleep - not enough at my age.

It seems to me that I must wait until retirement before I can really dedicate enough time to woodwork!

Be patient - your time will come.

Andy

dedee":1tgedu2w said:
Geppetto,
...... when you have one child can you imagine what happens when the second child becomes twins!

Andy

Hi dedee,

please, do not frighten me: I have one child, and my wife waits another :D :D (or others :?: :shock: ). She is one and half month only.

Congratulations Geppetto.

My daughter was born 6 months ago and I have done next to no woodworking since. I use to get 6 hours/week in the workshop before that. When she is a little older I hope to go back :?

CYC":2kq2e3x8 said:
When she is a little older I hope to go back :?

No No No, when she is a little older as Geppetto has already pointed out there will be a converstion along the lines of "would'nt it be nice if (name of 1st child) had a little brother or sister to play with"
I took this one hook, line and sinker.

Andy

Oh, Oh :shock:
I have noticed, now, that the denomination of my ID is changed from Newbie to Woodworker. Why is it occured :?: :?:
For all things I said I don't consider me a woodworker :? , I haven't much experience. Just a moment, it is could be belted to the numbers of topics, therefore it is automatic.
If it is, well, I am a woodworker.( only on this forum) :wink:

Hey, dedee, don't be under the illusion that you will be able to devote enough time to woodwork in your retirement. You will probably find it will be a case of, "I really wouldn't be able to find the time to go to work now!" - and you'll still be longing for enough time in your workshop :wink: . That's how it is for me, anyway.

Cheers,

Trev.

GEPPETTO":2qw3dsle said:
Oh, Oh :shock:
I have noticed, now, that the denomination of my ID is changed from Newbie to Woodworker. Why is it occured :?: :?:
For all things I said I don't consider me a woodworker :? , I haven't much experience. Just a moment, it is could be belted to the numbers of topics, therefore it is automatic.
If it is, well, I am a woodworker.( only on this forum) :wink:
It's definitely based on the number of posts; how else would I get to be a master cabinetmaker...? :oops: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Geppetto.

Just to depress people I tend to get 2 to 3 hours an evening in the shop and most of the weekends as well. There is still not enough time, mind you if I cut a few of the projects down it might help, Rebuilding the house, electrics, plumbing, fitting kitchen, restoring a mgb roadster, and then theres the garden. However I do live by myself which helps.

all the best

Neil

I have found this to be true in life-
1: Stuff expands to fill any spare space.
2: Stuff expands to fill any spare time.
you know it makes sense..... :lol:
Philly :D

All you have to do is follow two simple steps:

1. Give up your real job and do it full time (and remember what it was like to have money!)

2. Have dogs instead of children (although apparently I have to go out for a walk now!)

:lol:

T

GEPPETTO":13mno2rz said:
...how is the size of your??

Am I the only one here whose day has been brightened by Geppetto? I just wish mio Italiano was as good as your English, G. Keep 'em coming.

Ciao,
Steve

Trev is right, once you are retired everyone knows you have all the time in the world, the result being there is no time left do do the things you like best.

Hans

Latest posts

Back