One-jab efficacy questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes, sorry, I forgot the impossible fantasy isolation bit.

You know we did carry out about 50% of the GBD here already don't you? The bit we missed was minimal restrictions on low risk groups. We still shielded the elderly and vulnerable to fairly big extent.

We need to do what we can to make sure we do not waste the amazing vaccine technology by allowing prevalence to drive immune escape.
Valid concern but we are opening indoor pubs, Restaurants, clubs and cinemas on 17 May. This can only result in an increase in infections alongside large numbers of vaccinated people, ideal conditions for a vaccine resistant strain to emerge. Similarly and probably a bigger chance is a vaccine resistant strain coming in from abroad in the future, hopefully we would have more time to develop and administer a booster In that case.

You know we did carry out about 50% of the GBD here already don't you?
yes and its been an abject failure -UK has amongst the highest death rates in the world due to starting lockdown late every time

The bit we missed was minimal restrictions on low risk groups.
was never possible

Interesting data here on vaccine take up. Note explains why some percentages are over 100. Around me it is 99% plus of over 50’s have had at least one dose. At the other end of the scale we have

49 & underOver 50
Westminster21.4%67%
City of London23.2%68.1%
Camden21.9%72.4%
Kensington and Chelsea24.6%73.8%
Tower Hamlets23.1%77.8%
Newham25.8%82.3%
Hackney20.7%82.8%

As we come out of lockdown and cases rise it will be interesting to see where the Covid hospital cases and deaths are.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...cination-rates-for-over-50s-revealed-12269746

Last edited:
They didn't, but we will disagree on lockdowns and my opinions on that get me into trouble, or rather it prompts a load of people to report me and the admins get annoyed and I get a ban lol.
No, you keep getting banned because you come on here, a forum principally frequented by older people, intimating that older people should be allowed to die because they are disrupting your life. Lol.

No, you keep getting banned because you come on here, a forum principally frequented by older people, intimating that older people should be allowed to die because they are disrupting your life. Lol.

Once again, wrong. I wanted older people to take responsibility for protecting themselves (with assistance when needed) and the rest of us to get on with reaching herd immunity.

I did accept though that some older people would die, and as you might notice, even with all the measures put in place, plenty have still died.

Once again, wrong. I wanted older people to take responsibility for protecting themselves (with assistance when needed) and the rest of us to get on with reaching herd immunity.

I did accept though that some older people would die, and as you might notice, even with all the measures put in place, plenty have still died.
When this all started a close relative was up to speed on the evolving situation through work. We are in the vulnerable age group so before the first lockdown down we decided to self isolate and arrange deliveries off food. We planned to do day trips out by car and maintain social distance. My attitude was one of “you youngsters get on and catch it to develop herd immunity“.

So I can see Rorschach point of view. The problem is that many people in the vulnerable groups are not able to isolate themselves as we can and this virus is a lot more deadly than I anticipated. I thought that with sensible measures there would be about 20 000 deaths, something like a bad flu year and we do not lock down for that. I think we had to lock down and even then deaths have been far too many and the NHS has been sorely stretched.

Aspects of the lockdown have been mishandled, closing parks, not allowing people to visit remote areas whilst maintaining social distancing. I can recall a tv interview with a single mother of two, lived in a bedsit, no garden, no facilities open and the park was locked. She was walking around the multi story car park with toddler and baby in pushchair. The multi story was preferable to the streets, dire.

Last edited:
. I wanted older people to take responsibility for protecting themselves (with assistance when needed) and the rest of us to get on with reaching herd immunity

I think you will find the vast majority of elderly and vulnerable people did take responsibility to protect themselves.

He problem with the simplistic argument that "we protect the vulnerable and let everybody carry on reaching herd immunity", is that it's a simplistic, plausible argument.....but not possible in practice. GBD sounded sensible, but it never addressed how to identify all the vulnerable, let alone isolate them.

I really really don't understand why you aren't able to move on from this.

I think you will find the vast majority of elderly and vulnerable people did take responsibility to protect themselves.

He problem with the simplistic argument that "we protect the vulnerable and let everybody carry on reaching herd immunity", is that it's a simplistic, plausible argument.....but not possible in practice. GBD sounded sensible, but it never addressed how to identify all the vulnerable, let alone isolate them.

I really really don't understand why you aren't able to move on from this.

I told you, I am not getting into this with you, we know how it degrades. Please stop replying and trying to get me into trouble.

The powers that be are using Chile as an example to say that vaccines aren't the saviour they told us they would be. However as the data shows, they vaccines are not as good as the vaccines we are using, but they don't tell us that because that would not allow them to claim it is lockdown that has saved us rather than vaccines.

We are not “saved” yet. And it is lockdown AND vaccinations that have contributed to where we are at the moment. If we had had an effective Test, Track, Trace, Isolate and Support run by NHS and local authorities public health teams rather than the Private Sector disaster lead by Lady Harding we would have been in a much better position earlier.

We are not “saved” yet. And it is lockdown AND vaccinations that have contributed to where we are at the moment. If we had had an effective Test, Track, Trace, Isolate and Support run by NHS and local authorities public health teams rather than the Private Sector disaster lead by Lady Harding we would have been in a much better position earlier.

Well we are never going to be "saved", this is almost certainly going to be an endemic virus (unless it magically disappears like Sars1 did) so we are going to have waves of it every year, just like flu and many other diseases.

Just over two weeks ago my son tested positive, thankfully with mild symptoms. He works in a warehouse with some really scummy people who are not taking social distancing or mask wearing seriously. I say that from what he tells me and from the fact that when I pick him up from work the police are always patrolling the car park, fights and vandalism are common.

When he tested obviously we went into isolation, informed my daughters school, the driving instructor and some friends we had seen outdoors the day before. We all tested and only he was positive but registered all the tests.

The reason I am writing this is that test and trace worked exactly as you would want, everybody we know we had been in contact with got texts that day, we were contacted and told to isolate (no surprise there) but given all the information on how long what to do etc. plus how to get support if we needed prescriptions or other help. We were contacted again just before we were able to come out of isolation asked about symptoms etc. all retested negative and told OK to go out.

I cannot see how the system could have worked any better.

Felt very sorry for the driving instructor, my sons lesson was the first time he had been able to work since this all started, the fact he was able to be polite when we told him says a lot about the man.

Just over two weeks ago my son tested positive, thankfully with mild symptoms. He works in a warehouse with some really scummy people who are not taking social distancing or mask wearing seriously. I say that from what he tells me and from the fact that when I pick him up from work the police are always patrolling the car park, fights and vandalism are common.

When he tested obviously we went into isolation, informed my daughters school, the driving instructor and some friends we had seen outdoors the day before. We all tested and only he was positive but registered all the tests.

The reason I am writing this is that test and trace worked exactly as you would want, everybody we know we had been in contact with got texts that day, we were contacted and told to isolate (no surprise there) but given all the information on how long what to do etc. plus how to get support if we needed prescriptions or other help. We were contacted again just before we were able to come out of isolation asked about symptoms etc. all retested negative and told OK to go out.

I cannot see how the system could have worked any better.

Felt very sorry for the driving instructor, my sons lesson was the first time he had been able to work since this all started, the fact he was able to be polite when we told him says a lot about the man.

How long did you isolate for?

We were told 10 days but it ended up as 12 as we didn't need to go anywhere

We were told 10 days but it ended up as 12 as we didn't need to go anywhere

Were you not able to test and release? I thought that after something like 5 days you can get a test and if negative you are ok?

Were you not able to test and release? I thought that after something like 5 days you can get a test and if negative you are ok?
No he still had symptoms at day five, only loss of taste which they say can go on for months but although you can release after ten days even if you still have loss of taste or a cough you shouldn't any earlier. I don't pretend to understand why someone is or is not infectious at one stage or another but trust that the people who make the rules do.

No he still had symptoms at day five, only loss of taste which they say can go on for months but although you can release after ten days even if you still have loss of taste or a cough you shouldn't any earlier. I don't pretend to understand why someone is or is not infectious at one stage or another but trust that the people who make the rules do.

I understand for your son, but I meant for you. You tested negative, but still had to isolate for 10 days with no interim tests to see if you were still negative or became positive. That doesn't make any sense to me.

The reason is that people in the same household and therefore in close contact with an infected person can become infected and infectious before a test will give a positive result.

I believe there can be around a three day lag (not sure where I saw that if anybody knows I'm wrong please correct me).

To be honest for us it was not a massive hardship I was out of work although I am pleased to say I will be starting a new job in just over a weeks time. My wife works from home and my older son is studying, only my daughter was really effected but her school have on line classes to cover this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back