One for the eggheads

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely little Stuart Turner boat engine, prob no UJ the 4 bolts & would go on the plate of the prop shaft. Have seen engines in a similar state in a sunken boat that were lovingly restored. All you need are a couple of good boat jumbles to get the bits.....and a boat? Liked Jacob's comments ...can imagine the scene.....

Lovely little Stuart Turner boat engine, prob no UJ the 4 bolts & would go on the plate of the prop shaft. Have seen engines in a similar state in a sunken boat that were lovingly restored. All you need are a couple of good boat jumbles to get the bits.....and a boat? Liked Jacob's comments ...can imagine the scene.....
They are well designed for their use in a nautical environment so probably in good nick internally.
Boat - our (aged) Silhouette was £200 including a trailer! Not a fast or trendy boat at all.

Last edited:
I've heard that Coca-Cola is good for penetrating & un-seizing seized engines. If this is the case, Gawd knows what it does to ones inside! :unsure: :dunno: Never drink the stuff myself.
It's not the CC as such, it's the phosphoric acid in it that converts the rust. You can buy it in 5Ltr bottles on eBay pretty cheaply. There are several such chemicals that will convert the rust for you, but for many if you look, the active ingredient is the same, i.e. Phosphoric acid, you just pay a lot more to have a brand name on it.

You remind me of when my Dad was working on a very mangled Merlin engine dug out of a field in Essex, way past turning over he made the same comment about rolling it. Also a lot of CC involved in getting it cleaned up. ended up in a local museum painted green, sectioned with red edges. I must have been 5 at the time, astonished at how much Merlins had shrunk the next time I saw one.

This stuff is rated highly for penetrating…coke is pretty useless for something like yours…it’s got a tiny amount of Phosphoric acid in the ingredient, but it’s better to buy the acid neat and dilute as required for rust removal
4E966BD1-3B05-4F2A-B2A7-CCFFBFB824DD.jpeg

Last edited:
This stuff is rated highly for penetrating…coke is pretty useless for something like yours…it’s got a tiny amount of Phosphoric acid in the ingredient, but it’s better to buy the acid neat and dilute as required for rust removal
View attachment 132421
Dont fancy that with my JD, Might try on the engine if i can get hold of it

In my youth Stuart-Turners were the auxiliaries found in most yachts I crewed on. That all changed with the advent of small marine diesel engines pioneered by Ford when they got the ball rolling by taking their standard petrol Cortina engine block and dieselising it and renaming it a Watermota. It was married to a peculiar chain driven gearbox. Sounds a bit Heath Robinson but it worked surprisingly well. Had a Watermota in a yacht I once owned.
My recollection of the Stuart Turners is that you needed a highly attuned mechanical aptitude to get the best out of them. If not, it was the most sworn at engine ever. Eric Hiscock of Wanderer fame was not on good terms with his 8hp ST.

Back