One for the eggheads

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thingybob

If it aint broke dont fix it
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Having a great day in the garden today with my wife and decided to clear under the Leylandi tree cant stand all that brown droppings anyway started to rake out detritus when i hit something metal (no not a UXB ) Heres some pics of what we found need help as to what it is and what it may of been used for. It made by Stuart and has a Stuart carburetter Pat no 141607/19 so it must be petrol driven , unfortunatly no petrol left in carb lol

20220324_183650.jpg

20220324_183719.jpg

20220324_183810.jpg

20220324_183826.jpg

20220324_183841.jpg

Looks like some kind of stationary engine at a guess but engines are not my cup of tea , looks amazing tho given it’s been outside for possibly years.

Ahh . I was just thinking geographically. Coastline address. Marine engine.

Thanks every one now the proud owner of a bit of pre war history it has all fell into place the water pump built in flywheel fitted on taper shaft and the four bolt drive end coupling that would of conected to prop shaft maybee through a universal joint . My good friend Alwyne would of known what i was but sadly he was diagnosed with vascular dementia he was a keen historic machine man , Owning a fordson tractor and made and ran a rope making stall at many traction rallies .

Amazingly there is still traces of the original green paint on the bodywork of engine i did notice a small tag on the engine i will try to read it tomorrow it would be interesting to find out what boat it was from and its history

Last time I saw Stuart Turner petrol engine it was in an 18' "Silhouette" 2 man sailing boat in which 4 of us toured the Small Isles* some years ago, launched at Arisaig and lifted out at Mallaig.
Engine was very reliable and beautifully made with brass fittings / control linkages etc.
PS 2 stroke I seem to recall?
* plus Soay and Loch Scavaig

Last edited:
Bit too recent for that film!! Good film though...! A bit close to the mark 3 weeks ago re Ukraine.

Pull the plug and put penetrating oil down the cylinder head leave for a while and try turning over.
Used in sailing boats bitd.
I've heard that Coca-Cola is good for penetrating & un-seizing seized engines. If this is the case, Gawd knows what it does to ones inside! :unsure: :dunno: Never drink the stuff myself.

Latest posts

Back