On the ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duiker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a friend who is an artist (painter) who's preferred medium is ply wood (15mm). At the moment she sands each edge by hand and this takes her an age (no workshop either).
Has anyone any suggestions for planing/routing/sanding edges of ply so there is a minimum of tear out?

Cheers,

Mick

LOL :lol:
You've obviously not seen the many Festool posts on here!

Seriously - how about getting the ply cut to size at B&Q or Homebase? Their panel saws have a pre-score blade that gives a pretty good cut.

Hi Matey,

I did see the Festool thread and have my order in with Santa :lol:

I cant get to B&Q easy as we dont have them here :lol: The local Gamma and Praxis (Dutch equivalent) tend to be a pain too and I wouldnt bother.

I was interested to hear if anyone had used a router on the edges with any success or even a bench planer?

I've used a jointer (planer) to clean up the edges on ply before. Works fine, although I took very shallow passes.
Might be worth scoring the ply on the cut line with a Stanley knife, making the cut with a circular saw or TS, and then cleaning up on the planer. Allow a couple of mil extra all round?

I may be missing something here, but if all else fails, just run a belt sander along the edges at 45 degrees, with a fairly coarse belt on (80 to 120 grit should do it). Freehand, it's about a 10th of the time you'd spend mucking about with a router, and doesn't cause tear out.

Once observed that cutting or routing ply that had been varnished (couple of coats well beforehand) gave a very clean finish. But I also suspect that the quality of the ply had a lot to do with it. Don't know if its of any use.

SC

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

Given the lady in question seems to do an awful lot of stuff I dont think the sanding is an option. I'll give the planer a try with a sample piece and see what happens. I'll let you know how I get on.

Looks like my quest for the Festool will soon be at an end now I can "justify" buying one eh? :lol:

Duiker

I buy Birch Triplex (multiplex for you UKers from my local Karwei, and have it cut to size on their panel saw for free.

I always produces very good results, (meranti triplex gives some tear out I've noticed)

I could cut these myself on my table saw but as I buy my triplex there getting it cut to size is just so convenient.

Just a thought, and of course a well honed block plane will do a nice job, and she can always finish it off with sand paper.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure where my nearest Karwei is, I'll look them up and go have a look.

Nice to know I'm not the only Brit messing about with wood over here (I took the liberty of looking at your website). The furniture makers course looks interesting? Where do you do the courses? I guess it must be in Hoorn?

I'd like to try and find a similar course for myself at some point as we have a good deal of schools and universities close by (it is Amsterdam after all) but I just cant seem to find a decent one? Has your tutor any recomendations (Dutch language no problem)?

Anyway, if you are ever down south give me a shout.

Cheers,

Mick

Mick,

My course is in Renkum nr Arnhem , I live near Alkmaar and it's 1 hr 30 minute drive - a little closer for you.
I go on a Friday http://www.houtwerkrenkum.nl

It's very nice and 'gezellig', no formal curicullum, Hans helps you do what you want to do and throws all the basics in as you go along, both hand tools and machines. 6 people per group 1 or 2 beginners and the rest have been going for some time. When you have a project in mind and a he guides you to do it the way you want to, not tell you don't do this but do that - very nice

I tried to find a course near Amsterdam but I was fixed to doing it on a weekday, and so Hans was the only option at the time ( 2 years ago)
But try here: http://www.houtrijk.nl/houtrijk/leden/ then click Cursussen houtbewerken

I love it there and the drive is not too bad (I do all day but the normal course is for the am or the pm)

Mick,

No faffing with power tools here for me (unless I was staring at a stack of pieces). I simply clean up ply edges with few swipes of the handplane, but not straight out of the end causing breakout. I just turn the panel over and come in from the other end.

Quick and easy. :wink:

cheers

Ike

Latest posts

Back