On the lathe lighting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bemused

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, wondering what lighting your using, on the lathe lighting that is. I have a fluorescent strip light overhead and used one of the led magnetic base spot lights (mil28?) but it did not last the course, concept seemed ok just not durable enough for the cost.
Need a new light, main use is for shining through the wood when wet turning thin wall forms and looking into deeper hollow forms.

Regards
Tony

I just have an old anglepoise-style light screwed to the wall behind, with a nice bright reflector bulb in it. Cheap and easy.

AndyT":1vs3a9pe said:
I just have an old anglepoise-style light screwed to the wall behind, with a nice bright reflector bulb in it. Cheap and easy.

+1, except mine is clamped to the shelf above the lathe.

Cheers.

I have, for me, the near perfect light in that during daylight there is a window directly behind mt lathe. There is a protected strip light over the window and for detail I have a mag-mount Axminster flexi lamp. And a view down the drive to see when La Poste arrives with new toys for me :mrgreen:

DSC08426.jpg

Oh, and in this photo it's snowing! :shock:

Every time I read a post by jonzjob I go a bit greener with envy. France, great workshop, rustic setting, snow at Xmas, postmen who deliver. How much better can it get? ;)

+1 for anglepoise clamped to shelf. Cheap tescos job with highest watt bulb I could find.

Anglepoise is what I was mulling over but wondered where to buy from.

Off to tesco in the morning :)

Now is it the red, black or chrome one :mrgreen:
That clipon one looks tempting also.

AndyT":1tvi04ri said:

snap!

works a treat

Toby, don't get too upset please :mrgreen: It took a lot of years of holidaze over here and a lot of thought, work and retirement, all be it at an early age due to an accident at work, to get here. So I think I have earned it and if any of the guys get to this lovely part of the world then just yell and we may be able to meet up!

I think that the angle poise, or the Axi flexi/mag lamp are good options. Because you can get the light where you want and need it. I have to admit that my Axi lamp gave up the ghost after about 8 years. The transformer went toes up and Axi couldn't get a replacement, so I fitted a 30w 240 halogen bulb in the housing instead. Works a treat..

I have a strip light over the lathe but chose one with a polycarbonate cover just in case - last thing I want is for something to fly off the lathe and be showered in broken glass.

They are cheap enough...

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lig...ent+Light+IP65+1500+Single/d220/sd2768/p84854

...and then a cheap Ikea anglepoise attached to the headstock with a 25W compact flourescent bulb in it which chucks off quite a bit of light.

Normally I hate the new CPL bulbs because they are anything but compact in reasonable wattages, but for this application they're good because it doesn't matter if they stick out of the front and it menas you can use a big bright bulb well within the wattage rating of the anglepoise.

At least if this gets broken, there's less glass and it'll be coming from a direction where I expect.
HTH
Jon

Doug B":1v6yrjlv said:
AndyT":1v6yrjlv said:

+1, except mine is clamped to the shelf above the lathe.

Cheers.

+1 but mine's clamped to the 'shelf' under the lathe bars.......and it's very old!

Hi Folks,

I just got this random gift for crimbo and it seems perfect for this job:

url

It's magnetic at both ends and very strong, the light is on a telescopic rod and the last 5" or so is flexable. Ideal for sticking to the lathe and positioning anywhere. Runs of standard batteries and claims to work for a long time so no wires to mess with.

Cheap too.....oh and it can clip on your clothes and what not!

I have yet to set it up on the lathe but when I do I may do a review on my blog or something, I will let you all know as I think it could be a great little tool for spot lighting on the lathe.

Happy new year to you all.

Lee.

That's a shame mate, this one is very versatile. The flexable end can be turned anywhere really and the fact is magnetises to the lathe is a bonus.

Maybe it just doesn't suit your set up and another option would be better.

Hope you find the right one.

Cheers,

Lee.

skeetoids":2wdubd8l said:
That's a shame mate, this one is very versatile. The flexable end can be turned anywhere really and the fact is magnetises to the lathe is a bonus.

Maybe it just doesn't suit your set up and another option would be better.

Hope you find the right one.

Cheers,

Lee.

I don't have much room above or behind the lathe.
The mag base LED one I had was good upto the oint at which it broke (hammer)
I often stuck it on the head stock were it worked ok but when hollowing wet forms (read real wet just from the tree) I placed it on the bed and pushed the lens up to / into the hollow and this worked very well and the unit seemed quite well water proofed, also being led it did not steam the goblet :mrgreen:
Perhaps I might just buy another one.

Not much room piccy
007-2.jpg

Jonzjob":fjh98wb4 said:
Bemused, you have the same fan heater as I have. Good aren't they for the size..

They don't take up a lot of real estate :D
Cant really afford to heat the room with it just for turning but its great for warming the place up when using acrylics etc.

Back