On the lathe lighting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Jones":2w70bqik said:
I've got one of these over my lathe, from Ikea.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30018560/

That looks like a tidy light and good value also but not for wet paper thin hollowing were I turn the inside then shove a lamp inside the end and turn the outside using the light and transparency of the wet wood as my guide to thickness turning to a nice bight orange glow.
When its goes white you have gone too thin :mrgreen:

Hi,

Not too sure about the light actually inside a spinning hollow form btw!

I certainly wouldn't do it, is the light you use plugged or what?

I'm justing thinking spinning object, light, glass, electricity and you mention the word 'wet' a lot, could be dodgy mate?

Cheers,

Lee.

Lee, its actually moved up very close to the opening so the light does not spill to the outside, also reduced workshop lighting is recommended. I add lot of water during the process and the whole thing is a very wet job, so some attention needs to be given to the equipment that is used. Its a Michael O'Donnell technique that I find very useful.

I'm surprised that so many of you guys work with a single source of light. I picked up a couple of those Ikea ceiling quad spotlights off Ebay some time back and have one of those above the lathe - it means that I can have 4 lights spaced out and directed so that there is an excellent spread of directed light on all faces of the lathe.

In my opinion you should never ever use fluorescent lighting above moving machinery - high frequency fluorescents excepted - as the stroboscopic effect comes into play and can cause all sorts of havoc. I do have a LED gooseneck spotlight and notice that that is prone to strobing too.

Rob

Most of the time I use a long distant light source, about 90 million miles away (I stand to be corrected?) and big G is very generous with it. Don't cost too much after the cost of moving :twisted:

Turn09.jpg

Still need the dust mask on the odd occasion though :shock: but it does keep me nose cool in the hot :mrgreen:

If anyone notices it, the car is open because our chokky lab loves it in there and it give her some ventilation..

I use the Axminster Worklights on all my machines. They give excellent light, are reliable and robust (all metal construction) and have a variety of mounting options.

The one on a magnetic mount near the lathe tailstock is what I use most. It gives such a good light that it will light the bottom of hollow forms with no need to use a light actually inside the workpiece (which gets in the way anyway).

Back