OLSON THICK WOOD BLADES HELP PLEASE !!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac1012

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi i have seen these on the internet i wondered where i might get some online in uk ? i want to cut my softwood rocking horse pieces on my hegner and want to stack cut 2 pieces together which will be 42mm overall depth the problem i want to solve is uniformity as the horse has a lot of twin pieces so i want to cut two pieces together and a lot of cuts are straight or large radius wondered if these were any good ?

I looking to get a bandsaw in future and does anyone know of one around 2- 3oo mark ? i dont cut hardwoods and thickest i cut is pitch pine 44 mm

thanks mark

Hi Mark.

I bought a selection of Olsen blades a month ago, a dozen of each. I have to say they are the most useless blades i have ever used, most of the ends were bent, with half of them one end was at right angles to the other end. I now use blades from Mikes Workshop in America, Flying Dutchmen blades, in my book they are the finest in the world. I have cut 40mm on my scroll saws using a number 7 blade, a nine may be better but it depends if you have any tight spots on your rocking horse pieces.If you get scroll reverse blades this will help with a cleaner finish as soft wood can be a real pain to clean up, even better is ultra scroll reverse from Mikes Workshop. If you want some blades in a hurry then the reverse blades from Hobbies are good. Hope this helps.

Geoff.

Thats not what Goff said ... lol

He said Hobbies reverse are good... but
Flying Dutchmen blades, in my book they are the finest in the world

However....

The quality of your scroll / fret work does put a hell of a lot of weight behind what you say.

i have used them aswell and found them a lot of junk, i buy all my blades from hobbies and have no probs

Geoff,
Is it only the thick Olson blades you think are no good, or all of them? I bought some fine Olson sizes and they seem OK, but I'm a total novice and have nothing to compare them with. And what might I expect to pay in postage from America? The postage I paid from a British company (Woodworks Craft Supplies) was nearly £6 for a padded bag + blades weighing less than 50 grams.

Edwin, I've just ordered a gross of Flying Dutchman blades from from Mike and the postage was $3 (£1.90). I also had a gross of Olson crown tooth blades from Wooden teddybear also in the US for about the same, I prefer the Olson crown tooth over the FD ultra because there's no top or bottom and when the Olson blades start to dull you can turn them over, making them last twice as long.

i used the niqua reverse tooth blades i from hegner which are good i think thats what hobbies sell

i may try number 9 and no i havent any tight spots mostly squre and large radius what is best method for stack cutting to keep two pieces together

thanks mark

Edwin. I had placed an order for blades from Mikes workshop but knew I would wait a good week or more for them to arrive so as I was very low on blades I ordered some from Hobbies. I ordered some Niqua blades which I found very good, they were consistent, very sharp and lasted a while. I also ordered the selection pack of Olsen blades. I had heard so much about them I thought I would give them a try but sadly they were rubbish. I don't know if it was just a bad batch but the majority of them were twisted so such an extent that after securing the blade in the bottom clamp the blade at the top was at right angles to the clamp and the only way I could get the blade into the clamp was by using a pair of pliers. I have thrown them all in the bin now. Mike sent me some samples of the ultra reverse blade and I was very impressed. I ordered four gross last week from him and they should arrive today. The thing is Edwin that Mikes blades are so much cheaper than buying them here, he more or less sells them at cost price. They are $29-50 a gross, which is a big saving when you work out the cost of buying a dozen and the postage is only £1-90 as Loftyhermes pointed out, which again is cheaper than the UK.

Blades are a sort of personal thing Edwin, everyone has their favourites and what suits one person may not suit another. There are several factors to take into account when buying blades such as the material being cut, the thickness of the material, you may want to stack cut or maybe the pattern you are using has very tight angles etc and of course it is important to match the speed to the material being cut, you do not want to use force to push the wood through the blade but gentle pressure. In the main I use number 3, 5 and 7 blades but have larger and smaller for other types of work. If I had to use just one blade it would have to a be a number 5 ultra reverse from Mikes workshop.

gill when you say hot glue i have 2 21mm planed pieces would this be ok for hot glue? i have to sand to finish does the hot glue come of fairly easily.

Thanks for help
Mark

Hi loftyhermes,
Look at the FD-TC. It has twoo teeth down and one up. By the time you turn them around the strength might be out of the blade and will break easy. The UR blades also have 2 down 1 up but the blade design is completely different. The TC blades are good for cutting plywood and other wood with glue.
FD Mike

Latest posts

Back