Olivewood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete W

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever worked with said olivewood?

One of my goals in woodworking is to make boxes, and since the workshop is now coming (s-l-o-w-l-y) together, I'm starting to think about materials. Browsing the Craft Supplies catalogue last night I was struck by how beautiful their olivewood sample was.

A bit of rummaging on the internet reveals that olive seems to be in short supply and not generally in boards. However, Craft Supplies have some turning blanks and squares that seem to be a reasonable size for box-making (after re-sawing).

One catch might be that they are only "part-seasoned". I assume it would be possible to get them down to a reasonable moisture content but would appreciate any advice from those with more experience.

Hi Pete

One of the tricks that the turners use is to blast the wood in a microwave.

PLEASE NOTE - I am not suggesting that you do this, but just letting you know that it is one of the things that can be done.

Why don't you post your question on the the turning section and see what response you get?

Cheers
Neil

I'm a bit wary about venturing into the turning section in case I catch the round spinning disease :). My budget for the next 10 years is already allocated and there are no lathes in it.

One woodworking friend has already tried to get me hooked, and the lecturer at my college woodworking course gave us a demonstration t'other week. It seemed to be terribly - and I mean terribly - enjoyable :shock:.

Anyway, I'll post the query there, but I'm holding you responsible for the consequences... :)

Go on, Pete. :wink: :wink:

Budget for the next 15 years then you can get your lathe and all that goes with it! 'Tis very enjoyable - and a good way to get to know olive wood!

Suggest you avoid the kitchen microwave unless you have a very understanding SWMBO! A dedicated workshop one (microwave, that is) can be useful for drying small pieces of timber, and other uses such as warming pies, pasties, etc.

Trev.

Latest posts

Back