Olive Wood Bowls from the Firewood pile

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy _Builder

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are a few bowls i made from Olive tree root , Top row right in the group picture is Eucalyptus all this came off the firewood pile ,the wood tends to have natural splits in it ,also lumps of soil so bits of wood and soil tend to fly round the shop when you're turning .
There are a few tool marks in some of them, i've only been turning a few months , but i'm getting there slowly.

Attachments

• Bowls 016.jpg
    Bowls 016.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,223
  • Bowls 013.jpg
    Bowls 013.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,223
  • Bowls 010.jpg
    Bowls 010.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,223
  • Bowls 009.jpg
    Bowls 009.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,223
  • Bowls 008.jpg
    Bowls 008.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,224
  • Bowls 007.jpg
    Bowls 007.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,224
  • Bowls 004.jpg
    Bowls 004.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,224
  • Bowls 001.jpg
    Bowls 001.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,223
Thanks for all the comments ..... :)
Here in Spain wood for turning is hard to come by ,thats why i use Firewood or bring it back from the Uk .

Melinda .....I've had my lathe for 2 years , but it's only been running for 18 months and of those months i've only have access to the lathe when i'm in Spain which has been about 8 months due my work comittments in other places.

Today i'm finishing a couple of segmented turnings , my first attempts at these , a bowl and a lidded box ....i'll post pics if anyone wants to see ..........Allan

Cowboy _Builder":33cjis03 said:
Today i'm finishing a couple of segmented turnings , my first attempts at these , a bowl and a lidded box ....i'll post pics if anyone wants to see ..........Allan

we do we do....

I have to say that olive wood is right up at the top of my favorites for the beauty of the wood, and finish available. Early frustrations with finding hidden faults have now been replaced with a wider acceptance of such things - and in one case a 'disappearing' knot (it flew clear across next doors garden!) just led to a slight rethink on the nature of the piece I was making!

As others, I like what you have illustrated here - the form and substance seem well suited.

Latest posts

Back