Olive & Pewter lidded box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Turned Olive lidded box with a Pewter rim & finial, lid is Olive with a Teak inlay.
IMG_20200407_143017.jpg

Pint pots at the car boot is a good a place as any. £2 a pop. I use an old stainless steel teapot and a torch - it's easy to pour from.

Hi wasn't the caution with Pewter its lead content? It was very easy to deform. Modern Pewter has gone away from using lead but if 'recycling' old pewter be aware of the possible lead effects.

I appreciated both videos for their clarity, but I still have a couple of questions. First, since you used Gorilla glue to attach the finial, I presume you also used the same adhesive for attaching the ring. I thought this glue expanded and might be exposed on the edges; could another glue (e.g. CA) also work without the seeping problem? Second, you used Hampshire Sheen to polish the finial. I wonder how long that wax-type finish will hold up before the pewter (again) turns dull. Third, it seems as if there was no difficulty turning both pewter parts on the wood lathe with a carbide tip tool. Do you know whether HSS chisels would work equally well? Finally, have you tried turning aluminum with the same tools? I know this metal is harder than pewter, but wonder whether it might also 'work'. Thanks.

There are Gorilla glues that aren't PU, but everyone presumes all Gorilla glues are PU. (This may have been PU, the OP will say). I use HSS tools - I haven't any carbide ones. Aluminium is undoubtedly more difficult to cast than pewter. Pewter will eventually tarnish no matter what, I suspect.

I appreciated both videos for their clarity, but I still have a couple of questions. First, since you used Gorilla glue to attach the finial, I presume you also used the same adhesive for attaching the ring. I thought this glue expanded and might be exposed on the edges; could another glue (e.g. CA) also work without the seeping problem? Second, you used Hampshire Sheen to polish the finial. I wonder how long that wax-type finish will hold up before the pewter (again) turns dull. Third, it seems as if there was no difficulty turning both pewter parts on the wood lathe with a carbide tip tool. Do you know whether HSS chisels would work equally well? Finally, have you tried turning aluminum with the same tools? I know this metal is harder than pewter, but wonder whether it might also 'work'. Thanks.
Hi, The ring i always attach using a 2 part epoxy, sometimes on finials too, but mostly Gorilla glue (shape depending)
I use firstly Yorkshire grit (be sure to work it away from the wood as it can stain the wood black) then Hampshire sheen to really polish, i do know in time tarnishing will occur but i've not seen it happen yet (mind you i've only been turning 2.5 years !) Mostly for Pewter i use carbide and very high speed (3500rpm) but sometimes for really detailed parts i have to use a HSS skew.... No i've not tried turning Aluminium, nor Brass, i have turned a little Copper though (just for tool handles)... hope that helped, cheers :)

There are Gorilla glues that aren't PU, but everyone presumes all Gorilla glues are PU. (This may have been PU, the OP will say). I use HSS tools - I haven't any carbide ones. Aluminium is undoubtedly more difficult to cast than pewter. Pewter will eventually tarnish no matter what, I suspect.
I did actually build a a small Aluminium foundry from a Tin bucket, inside a made a thick wall from a mix of plaster and sand with a hole in the centre for a crucible and a side hole for a metal tube leading to a hairdyer... the crucible i made from an old fire extinguisher, the middle was filled with charcoal bits... also i made a plaster and sand lid... it was only supposed to get to about 700 degrees but i thing it was more like 1000 !!! it worked too well, melted a hole right through the steel within 5 minutes, managed to make one nugget though :)

Melting vid

Latest posts

Back