Older Woodrats

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froglet

Established Member
Reaction score
I seem to have bought myself a Woodrat on eBay. The plate that the router is mounted on is black rather than white so I presume that this is an older version, especially as the seller described it as not having been used for years. Does any one know how this machine differs from the current version?

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

If nobody knows--I certainly do not, you can try emailing WoodRat themselves.

I leave you with:
woodrat_logo.jpg

froglet":27btnpda said:
Thanks for that Mike :D
Should this be printed out and prominently displayed next to the machine?
Graeme
Only if you dare 8)

In a thread here somewhere I posted a link to a full size PDF of it...but let me see if I can find it on the website....
Ah, here it is:
WoodRat PDF

froglet":1j5ndfna said:
I seem to have bought myself a Woodrat on eBay.
Ah, a man of taste and discernment.

froglet":1j5ndfna said:
The plate that the router is mounted on is black rather than white so I presume that this is an older version, especially as the seller described it as not having been used for years. Does any one know how this machine differs from the current version?
Having compared the auction with the 'Rat website, I'd say the fences, the crank, the absence of aluminium guide rails and a decent manual are the main differences. The fences and crank are a plus, the guide rails and manual can be remedied. You done good, I reckon.

Cheers, Alf

I was a little suprised at how little it went for as they seem to usually sell for much closer to the new price (was a little worried everyone else new something about older Woodrats that I didn't :D ).

I have downloaded the latest manual from the Woodrat website and emailed Woodrat to find out exactly what the differences are. The main thing I would like to know at the moment is whether or not the aluminium channel extrusion is different as I don't pick it up until saturday and would like to have built somewhere for it to live before it arrives.

Graeme

I suspect the answer from W/Rat would be as follows as I was looking at the auction as well and emailed w/rat:

"If the old machine is black, then I would recommend a new one. (edit - well they would say that wouldn't they!!!!) The black chassis is more difficult to mark up with pencil marks.

New machines also have an upgraded plate with aluminium giude rails and a stop for making tenons faster.

If you should choose the older machine, you may want to buy the guide rails and the new manual separately.

Henry"

Hope this helps

Simon.

Graeme.
I have an older rat and the differences with the new one are insignificant. I would even hold off the aluminium rails until you have practiced with it. The older plastic rails can be made more rigid by stuffing the undersides with pastic wood (a Mike Humphreys tip) and then you only lack the N/S fixed stop potential but unitl you are at home with the machine, I reckon this is no big deal. The black router plate is identical with the pale coloured one except for colour.

froglet":3e4qignx said:
I was a little suprised at how little it went for as they seem to usually sell for much closer to the new price (was a little worried everyone else new something about older Woodrats that I didn't :D ).
I would guess the lower price was because he wouldn't ship it; you were in the right place at the right time. :D

Regarding the "black chassis" comment, could that be in reference to a model older still with a black extrusion? I'd hardly call having a black plate a problem with marking up (or call it a chassis) and you can always buy a replacement if you did. As for the aluminium guide rails, well once I got a pair that actually fitted (once I'd filed the back holes, that is... :roll: ) I found they were a real boon over the placky ones, despite stuffing the latter with car body filler as suggested. But there's no rush.

Cheers, Alf

gream use a bit of white masking tape the pencil lines will show up better than on the ally .i went to look at an old black rat the guy wanted £250 for it and that was before the price went up, i put the extra few quid to it and got a new one have fun and dont pull all your hair out :shock: :D :D

Of course, the older models like yours have the advantage of having aluminium extrusions for the clamps and not plastic ones that can bend. Mike Humphries recommends filling the plastic ones with plastic metal to give them a bit more strength although I havn't done that to mine yet.

Andrew

Thanks for all the advice guys (and gals obviously). I shall now sit here tapping my fingers impatiently until Saturday afternoon.

Graeme

Alf I have a whole garage wall waiting for it. We have a double garage but unfortunately my wife insists that her car is garaged at nights so I have built a wall down the middle to split it in two, half for my workshop half for her car. Now her side of this wall is pristine and thats where the Woodrat is going. I will get away with it because it will be mounted on the wall rather than taking up floor space, but I see it as the thin end of a wedge that will eventually cause the car to roll out onto the drive and let me take over the whole garage :D

Graeme

froglet":9c74zrr5 said:
but I see it as the thin end of a wedge that will eventually cause the car to roll out onto the drive and let me take over the whole garage :D
Graeme

Off course, that goes without saying. :wink: Just "leaving" the car outside overnight whilst I complete this project..... need to leave the car outside "this week" whilst I finish/spray this project..... need to leave the car outside this month whilst i "acclimiatise" this wood.

Adam

Latest posts

Back