Older Hegner scroll saw problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodger7

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Some time ago a kind neighbour gave me a Hegner scroll saw. I am now starting to really enjoy using it but I am having a bit of a problem attaching the top blade clamp when I have threaded the blade up through the work to make an inside cut. In particular I am struggling to get the blade in the correct position both as to depth and angle. At the moment I am using size 1 blades and have snapped a couple in quite a short time. This is not helping my concentration as I am constantly anticipating the next bang as a blade breaks.
Is there a simple way to attach the top clamp or is it just a matter of practice?
As a secondary issue I see that Hegner supply an upgraded tensioning screw to make the tensioning an untensioning of the blade a little quicker. Has anyone modified the existing screw to achieve the same result without spending £40?
Thanks
Peter

A picture of the Hegner would help to show what can be done

On the first point when I started using a Hegner I had the same problem, I used a piece of brass window lock that happened to be the right size, pushed behind the top clamp to stop it rocking, clamp down the thumb screw and tighten the blade clamp, then remove the piece of brass, loosen the thumb screw half a turn and away you go, it worked moderately well but I then obtained a quick clamp, these are essential IMHO

They may be expensive at about £25 but well worth it (although I managed to get a second hand one for £15)

On the second quick tension, I converted a Hegner from the basic to a quick release, it wasn't that difficult and again worth its weight

If you have a picture of yours I can show you how its done, cost was mostly time and about £3

Theres a cut out in the front right of the table that fits the clamps. Put the clamp in the cut out, adjust the blade square, and tighten.

Aye but you can't do that with the bottom clamp fitted and blade through the work piece on the table ;-)

Thank you to Whatnot and Sunnybob for your helpful replies. As advised I have now ordered a quick clamp so, hopefully, this will solve the problem of refitting the blade after threading it up through the work. I have also discovered that I was using the top clamp threaded screw incorrectly by tightening it against the top clamp. I believe that this probably caused my blades to break. Since I have loosened the screw I have not had another break.

You are most welcome

NB with the quick clamp you *do* clamp it tight with the top thumb screw, it can handle that as it has a rotating clamp within the quick clamp

You will not regret getting the quick clamp it makes a world of difference

Back