Old Woodworking Tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have several old rebate planes - a few of them are dovetailed construction but most are not. Shoulder planes, being wider, are often of dovetailed construction, being easier to make - I can confirm this, having made a couple myself. If it has a name on the nose of NORRIS or SPIERS, then it's worth around £300-400 depending on condition (un less it's a real dog, in which you get what you can). Otherwise, as a standard rebate plane, probably worth around £50 on ebay. Forget the blade, this is nearly always a replacement. Old tools in GOOD nick are woth a fair bit but if, as is usually the case, they have suffered over the years, they can be worth remarkably little. How much you pay depends on how much work you are prepared to put inti refurbishing them - although they will never be "genuine" antique planes.....

How much you pay depends on how much work you are prepared to put inti refurbishing them - although they will never be "genuine" antique planes.....

Better prices are more likely if they remain untouched when it comes to tools of this type.

I buy a fair amount of vintage tooling but stay well clear of the refurbished offerings as it rarely ends well. Not so fussed when someone puts a fresh edge on a blade but any attempt to make it good is a clear sign to stay away for me.

Have went round it with a magnifying glass No name on it at all apart from the blade -Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
What's happened to the pictures and the replies so far, please?

Some posts were deleted as it was turning into a sales thread. The OP has just recently joined and discussion and value of one particular tool was allowed but further mention, essentially advertising, by the OP of more items is against forum policy.

I personally didn't see it that way Noel, and I don't see where it's against forum policy to ask for advice on the value of tools?

The mods have removed the pictures saying that i was trying to sell tools which i was not really trying to I did not join the forum to do that Will be starting a new thread on another matter which was the reason i joined Need to go and collect a piece of furniture first which might be a few weeks away

I don't understand.
We've had lots of threads where people ask what they've got and what they should do with it.
Value is only one aspect - we might have been able to identify tools, explain what they were used for, make suggestions about how to put them back into working order. In short, a helpful exchange of information.

When I joined this forum I knew much less about old tools than I do now. Much of my knowledge came from members on here.

Which rule was being broken?

Any idea what this is?

NOT SELLING as full of woodworm, just wondering!
(Last post on this thread here)
120756276_1206846129699964_7235373474393224902_n.jpg
120781605_628356921381451_8691363383216209601_n.jpg

Attachments

• 120781605_628356921381451_8691363383216209601_n.jpg
    120781605_628356921381451_8691363383216209601_n.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 22
It's the fence, probably from a plough plane, possibly a sash fillister.

You may well have a wooden plane with a thin steel skate underneath and a pair of holes across the body. The two arms of the fence get wedged in the holes.

It's the fence, probably from a plough plane, possibly a sash fillister.

You may well have a wooden plane with a thin steel skate underneath and a pair of holes across the body. The two arms of the fence get wedged in the holes.
And just a note to say, in some cases the woodworm holes do not necessarily negate it's value, especially if it belongs to a tool with high value/ historic importance.
Yes, some tools are that special.
I was lucky enough to see your other pictures and would advise that even some of the roughest looking ones are well worth finding homes for. My friend restores basket cases and you'd be amazed at what can be achieved, to the point that some of us, who study tools daily, cannot see the work done to achieve it.
Cheers Andy

Last edited:
Back