Old wooden planes site

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that - I'd already found it, admired it and bookmarked it, but it deserves to be widely known. That's a fine collection you have there - some really fine specimens. The clear, high-res photos make it a really useful reference source as well.

I've just been watching a few of them in use Roy, at the Mactimbers open day. And a whole lot of moulding going on there was.

Richard's infills were on display too and I had a guided tour, assisted by Mr. B. Carter. Maybe I can now work up the courage to get on with filling my own infills...

Guess who forgot his camera? :roll:

I find that people tend to avoid wooden planes 'cos they find them difficult to adjust Richard. They are, till you get the knack. I can adjust a woody faster than a metal plane 'cos I don't have to make allowance for any 'back lash' in the adjuster.
Also I have never been able to subscribe to the idea that that a heavy plane is better than a light one.

Roy.

Quite agree re adjusting Roy - I only recently found out about "where to tap does what" especially on the top front for retracting. I should have guessed, as this is where we sometimes find a 'strike button' but the penny has only recently dropped with me. :oops: Could have been for striking matches for all I knew... Needless to say, I'm getting on much better and faster at setting wooden planes now.

P'raps someone should do a tootorial on it? :)

Hello Richard A , nice to see you on here would have loved to get over to Mac's today but we were out camping (Andy with the John Green "0's" and the plane-makers stuff in the blue camper who knows you and Bill etc., :wink: )
Hope you had a great day and look forward to seeing you Fri/Sat 8)

Andy

I would if anybody needs one, but frankly with Phil having vanished I suspect we are probably considered anti deluvian!
My planes are without a strike button BTW, I clout the front and rear of the soles using a small Beech headed mallet that I made for that task.

Roy.

mouldy plane":1ep4v4r7 said:
This is a link to my web site dedicated to the study of early wooden planes.
I'm always looking for constructive comments on any way i can improve it, so please feel free to let me know what you think http://oldwoodplanes.co.uk/

Really a cool site. Thanks for sharing =D>

Ciao,
Giuliano :D

Hi folks, thanks for all the kind replies. Just to clarify a few things, as to using my planes, the examples on the web site tend to be early, and historically important,so except on very rare occasions they have been honorably retired. on the other hand i do use wooden planes regularly, as i'm interested in rediscovering how and why they were used. This tends to be in my spare time, but as a full time joiner, and cabinet maker i still use traditional wooden planes regularly in the workshop, ie if i need to create a half inch bead between the meeting stiles of a pair of doors, i wouldn't dream of using a power tool as it's far quicker to use a side bead plane. My long term plan for my collection is to leave it with a suitable establishmet so it can become a national reference library of planes that everyone has access to

Latest posts

Back