Old Wolf drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claref

Reaction score
I have an old Wolf drill that I have inheritated from my grandfather and it is just sat in my garage. Below are the details. I have no idea of it's value or even if it is worth selling

Wolf 1/4"
serial: 298631
Type: EG2c.E

Is metal with a metal plate on it with the details - says made in London
Drill bit holder is red and end of drill is red but handle is metal with Wolf written up it.

Has a chuck key with it and it does work.

Do you know how old it is?

My father had several Wolf drills that sound similar. The metalwork was originally a pale green but had very poor adhesion onto the diecast body. The back end covering the brush gear was red painted steel as was a slip on chuck guard. the mains cable had a spring steel clip which held the chuck key. I think it only had a 1/4" capacity.
This would have been late fifties so I suspect your drill date from a similar period.

There was someone here who was looking for spares for similar drills - I think he was a collector so might be interested if you wanted to pass it to a good home.

Bob

PS I think they were known as Wolf Cub drills

They were quite popular in the 50s and 60s, and are now quite common on eBay as house clearers get to the original purchasers' sheds.
But, as far as I can see, they attract very few bids, and are not yet a sought after collectable, even though they were apparently well built, before companies were ruled by accountants. So not much mileage in selling it.

My advice is to try it out, and use it. Cordless drills are nice, but not always as good as a more powerful mains drill that won't fade away when you are using it.

I've still got my dad's Wolf Cub drill set dating from about 1958? All diecast body drill in a slightly mushroom-ish grey paint. 1/4" chuck with an allen key as a chuck key. Also has a Lathe bed/ drill stand, a saw bench and a disc sanding backer. Drill in use up to the mid 1970s. Saw bench was used to rip glazing beads for a homemade greenhouse. And the drill even survived my youthful attempts at turning - chisel dug in and drill/faceplate/bowl exitted rather briskly - the securing clip over the nose of the drill holding it in the headstock was not a design strongpoint. Lack of hammer action, and speed control led to it being superceded by a Black and Decker.

Dee

I have a 1/4" wolf cub drill but not in working condition. Could anyone help with an armature for it? Or maybe if a working one is up for sale. My dad bought the Indian version made by Rallis India limited. It was very good for small jobs around the house. Am keen to get it working once again.
Thanks,
Leslie

Probably best to get it rewound?

I reckon show it to a motor rewinder and they'll do it for beer money?

Or you could tske the inside out and put a rs540 motor in powered by 12v motor.

Or get a bosch, put a lightbulb fitting in the chuck of the wolf and turn it into a lamp 😆

On a serious note, if you really want to fix it, buy another on ebay for the parts......

Back