Old vs New?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hello,

I have just found this site and I have really enjoyed having a look through it since.

I do apologise if this question has been asked before. I did a search, but didn't find anything so I hope somebody can offer me some advice.

I hope to buy a table saw in the not too distant future and having been checking out the various options and knowing that I want as accurate a one as I can afford, I have kind of settled on the Elektra Beckum PK200 Kit at about £630.

However, I was wondering would an older cast iron topped saw, eg Startrite etc, be a better buy? If I bought a tired one, would it be expensive to restore it to reliable condition, if at all possible, and would it ever be as accurate as the new Elektra? If anybody knows what these old saws are worth and who supplies them, it would be helpful. I have seen a few on eBay, but I am sure the delivery charges would be attrocious due to the bulk, the weight and the journey across the Irish sea! I really can't afford to spend much more than £600 odd but I would like to do the best I can for the money.

Any advice, or experiences is very welcome, thank you.

Mick.

I source a fair bit of woodworking machinery from Auction sales of companies who go under or have surplus after upgrades.A web search for your region may be useful. As for new versus old it is really down to the individual and what they want the machine to do specifically.The accuracy should not be an issue as a new saw is as likely to be wrong as an old saw.A general service with your local tool dealer will sort that. The best advice would probably be to try before you buy if possible because you will only want to buy it the once at around £600.

Some old machines are great, such as Wadkin, Startrite and so on.

For the cost of a cheap new machine , you are essentially getting a professional old machine.

They are mainly Cast iron, this stuff is built to last, and there is no problems with accuracy.

However, you may have trouble finding cheap replacement parts, or if the motor fails, you may have trouble with repairs etc...

Ok, thanks lads, it looks like a new saw is the way to go.

I want to step up a notch and I don't want to fall at the first hurdle due to making the wrong choice in tools. I like the old saws but I don't like them anywhere near enough to take a chance on always getting any parts they might need.

As far as I can see, the Elektra is the minimum amount you can spend for a good, accurate saw. I would like to get something cheaper but you get what you pay for in my book, and those cheap entry level saws with their inbuilt inaccuracy don't appeal to me at all.

I have been looking at the Sheppach TS2000 saw on Rutlands. I passed it by originally due to price, but now I notice it is available without the extras for £579.95 inc VAT. It has a very impressive specification and a couple of features I like, but the Elektra comes with all the bits for not much more money.

Decisions, decisions...

All the best, Mick.

i think the elecktra has a brush motor which is much noisier than an induction motor
if at all possible i would try to find a saw with an induction motor

aleks

Hi MMP,

If you can get hold of an second hand saw bench, would be the best way to go as has already been recommended by others, sound advice. You will certainly get more for your money and a machine that will last for ever.
You could try www.homeandworkshop.co.uk they do woodwork machines as well as metal work. There also used be a supplier I think in Leeds, keithley I think was the name, but I can't find any refferance to them, perhaps one of the other members could advise on this one.
Good luck.

To be honest kostello, once wood hits metal its a whole different ball game. the motor really doesnt make much difference.

Wear good quality ear defenders and you'll be fine :D

you obviously have a saw with a brush motor!!!!

believe me if you can afford it the difference is vast

i had 3 fairly cheap saws with brush motors before my current saw and you really can tell the difference!!!

aleks

It seems that table saws are a source of great debate! :D

It really wouldn't matter that much to me either way, although as an induction motor is a serviceable unit, it might last longer, but as long as I get a saw that does its job well, then I'll be happy. I have a very old Tecalemit compressor which I built up from bits and pieces. I got my hands on an also very old Brooks Crompton 1.5 HP motor. It is very large for its output but that motor is whisper quiet and it just goes and goes and goes!

Originally, I wanted to get a cast iron saw at the right price and possibly fit an Incra or similar fence system to it at a later date to make it as good as I could get it. The issue of parts for these saws would worry me however. Most of them also seem to be 3 phase as well which means changing the motor or getting a converter.

To throw another spanner in the works, I am aware that the new saws will not accept a dado cutter, but will the old ones? I see that Machine Mart sell them. Also, if I were to buy a cast saw, does anybody know which make and model to look out for?

Thanks again everybody, I appreciate you all taking the time to reply.

Mick.

Yes it does matter what type of motor is on a tablesaw!
sawdustalley":1rutvv6r said:
To be honest kostello, once wood hits metal its a whole different ball game. the motor really doesnt make much difference.

Wear good quality ear defenders and you'll be fine :D

I was talking about quietness, and not quality obviously.

When wood hits metal it makes noise, and lots of it. Wont make much of a difference if its a brush motor or induction motor.

Thanks once again everybody, particularly Woodtek and DAZB for those very helpful links!

I hope that if I do get an old one, I can set the pipper up properly! :lol:

Take care,

Mick.

Does anybody own or have an opinion on one of these?

It comes with side and rear extension tables for £692.75 exc vat, the only additional cost is for the sliding table.

Are these tables an absolute necessity? This particular one seems very expensive and I personally would not want to pay the extra for it.

This saw would appear to offer better value than the Elektra as in it appears to be a proper workshop saw...

I'm pretty much sold on an old cast iron saw, but I have just come across the above model and was quite surprised at the specification for the money.

I was also wondering if Axminster own brand tools are of good quality. Some of their stock seems to be very reasonably priced, but that usually only means one thing. However, I, like everyone else, like to get my money's worth and if their stuff was any good, I would give it a try. Maybe their 1/4 and 1/2" router at £85.05 exc vat.

Best regards,

Mick.

Hi MMP,

Since you live in Ireland suggest you give McBride Tool Services a bell. They have been selling a table saw with cast iron table and induction motor for £500 -600 odd. It's based, roughly, on an American style contractors saw. Have only had a brief look at it so cannot vouch for build quality or accuracy. There're based outside Belfast but do have stockists in the South. Apparently they sold like hotcakes at the Dublin Woodworking show last year and no doubt will be present at this years event (coming up soon, I think). Tel no is 028 93349181 from the North, or from the South 048 93349181. Ask for Maurice McBride.

Rgds

Noel

MMP":1cu1xmso said:
Does anybody own or have an opinion on one of these?

Mick,

I haven't a clue where I heard it, but I seem to recall that particular model being roundly condemned by persons whose opinions I trust. That's not very helpful, I know! If I can find where I read it/saw it I'll get back to you with a bit more detail. I know I was particulary suspicious when they ran a feature on it in their "Review" magazine for a second time in as many years. A touch of desperation I felt. I think it used to be sold under the Minimax name, which might help you find further info on it perhaps.

The sliding table isn't a necessity, but many consider it well worth having. Someone who actually likes table saws would be able to tell you why.

Axminster's own stuff is really a curate's egg. Some stuff is great; other things pretty lousy. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason in which is which. Best just to ask around as you've done, and see what others think.

Cheers, Jester

P.S. Did anyone suggest Scott & Sargeant for s/h?

Once more, thanks for everyones help!

I have to add that I am still in the initial stages of deciding what exactly I want and/or need to get. You see, I am about to begin construction of my own house and I am debating whether or not to get the big tool purchases out of the way now or to gather up the smaller items first.

I am sorely tempted with the first idea, but some of the smaller tools would come in useful as building work progresses. To be honest, its a tough one to call and I cannot make my mind up one way or the other! I have plenty of tools, but unfortunately very few woodworking ones of the powered variety. Whatever happens, I want to gather up some equipment at least before too long, and if it happens to be a table saw, I will let you know about it.

P.S.

Jester, if I was about to make a table saw purchase right now, you would have saved me a lot of money, as that saw looked good to my inexperienced eye. It just goes to show, things are not always as they seem. Thank you.

Noel, I was just recently lamenting the lack of an available version of the American "contractors saw" with one of my friends. When the time comes to purchase, I will certainly be checking that one out. It sounds very promising.

As for the woodworking show I found the following information:

Woodworking Ireland 2003
11th - 13th September 2003
Venue: National Show Centre, Cloghran, Dublin
Organisers: Nelton Exhibitions Ltd
http://www.nelton.co.uk/serv01.htm

Unfortunately, it seems to be trade only, but Belfast is only about an hours drive away and Dublin not much more so next time I am in either city, I might get a look at that model.

My very best regards to you all,

Mick.

Latest posts

Back