Old vs New

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianmcairns

Reaction score
I have been using a Record lathe now for a couple of years. Can't remember which model but it's the sort with the steel bars as bed. Cost me £100 and has been fine, 1hp with inverter and speed control, swivel head. I'm now thinking of getting a replacement - something a little larger and more robust. I'm thinking I could go for a new lathe, a Laguna or similar, or an old one like a Harrison Graduate with an inverter and speed control. I like having the swivel head for bowls but with something like the Harrison it wouldn't be necessary anyway as you can stand in front of the rear spindle although I'm guessing my existing chucks wouldn't fit. I'm sure both approaches have their proponents but I'd be interested to hear the pros and cons of both. Many thanks.

I found I was always running up against the limitations of my graduate. Not massive swing inboard, outboard was tricky for me with the limited space where I had it set up. Centre height is quite low as well. On the plus side, it was cheap and had plenty of mass to stop it jumping around. I now have a wadkin RS which solves most of my issues!

I found I was always running up against the limitations of my graduate. Not massive swing inboard, outboard was tricky for me with the limited space where I had it set up. Centre height is quite low as well. On the plus side, it was cheap and had plenty of mass to stop it jumping around. I now have a wadkin RS which solves most of my issues!
Well, that's a beast!

me toooooooo...
looking for an upgrade from my swivel head Poolewood.....will be teaching wood turning for our holidaymakers.....
looked at the Graduate etc.....
Pricing well, Grads and the like are def not cheap any more often close to a grand and up......
So in the end found a Wadkin RS....3phase with an inverter already fitted.......jumped in with both feet......
For my own turnings, I will be starting of with blanks around the 1/2ton in Olive wood......
Def buy the older heavy cast machines....u can always get ur money back....hardley any chance of looseing money.
and ur grand kids will get it when ur gone.....
I for one know of several people that have exported Grads and RS's for their own use....they will never return to Blighty....
even heard of one that went to Ozz or NZ recently....there wont be many left quite soon......

Back