Old Union Bench drill.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big H

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I would appreciate some advice on the going price of an old Union bench drill which I've come across in an antique shop. It is in excellant condition with no drill marks on the table, good bearings, working self feed etc., in fact it may have never been used.

is it a single or double speed one? you can see the difference on the large hand wheel, and whether it has one or two sets of teeth on it.

The 2 speed ones like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bench-Drill-U ... 500wt_1277 tend to fetch somewhere around £25-30 on ebay. sometimes you can get lucky, because they are typically heavy and collection only. You can get them for less if luck has it that nobody else wants one near you at the time. If I recall my research, I think that these are the Union 2x model.

The one speed like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/union-hand-dr ... 500wt_1277 tend to fetch a bit less, maybe £15-20. Note the simpler large wheel and the difference between that and the link above. Again, you may get lucky. I have one of these, and I thing that it is brilliant, although I would prefer a 2 speed one!

Union do seem to fetch a small premium over other brands, many of which are not branded. The other ones that seem to fetch a premium are those which look special, or unusual. You shouldnt need to pay a fortune for a Union one- there are quite a few about if you are patient.

HTH
Mark

Thanks for the info Mark, interesting price differance, the one I seen was for sale at €165, which i knew was way over the top. it is a single speed one at that.

These look great fun and might solve my lack of drill press issue quite cheaply whilst giving me an excuse to play with machines instead of making stuff

I see the double one had a missing chuck - are these easy to replace? or are they a 'whitmore bivalve type b' fixing never seen before or since?

Pete

Back