Old type tool boxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greengrass

Reaction score
Think I am going to have a go at making a traditional tool box/chest. My dad made one 40 years ago while an apprentice that I still have.

Any good ideas for something a bit different? pictures of ones you have made?

Many thanks,

GG

ive just made a new one and have few more about, il post some pics up tommorw, tool boxes are fun to make and very practical, but making the perfect one that suits you is not easy, ive made 5 in the last 8 years :lol: new one is a keeper though i think

dont do the dovetails to fine and it will, my new one is made from 1/2" birch dovetailed and worked fine

If you haven't already, it might be worth getting hold of a copy of 'The Anarchist's Tool Chest' by Christopher Schwarz. Full directions on how to build a traditional toolchest, and some interesting thoughts on the tools to go in it and life in general. APTC or Classic Hand Tools can supply.

Here is mine I made last year, made in oak with tulip drawer sides lined with cork roll.
Front
DSC00043.jpg

Back
DSC00042.jpg

In situ
DSC00046.jpg

flounder":3lof1206 said:
Here is mine I made last year, made in oak with tulip drawer sides lined with cork roll.

Cork roll is a great idea. Very tool friendly, being a timber product of course.

Used a lot of it when I made some entomological display cases.

You made a nice job of your tool-chest too. That would grace any shop.
:D

Years ago you could find at jumble sales plywood boxes of a similar style that old vacuum cleaners came in. With the addition of a few drawers, one useful tool box. I have one down in my shed that I made as an apprentice, but I couldn't rise to dovetail joints, panel pins and glue were the best I could manage, but I was supposed to a steel worker. Still going strong after thirty years.

Gareth

heres mine, nothing special just a practical box that gets luged about 6 days a week, think i will get some cheast handles for it though as it is very heavy and finish a few bits off, where the tenon saw is that slides up and you can then get to more saws behind, hope this helps in some way
Image0259.jpg

Image0260.jpg

Image0261.jpg

Back