old tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boschboy

Established Member
Reaction score
looking for advice on the value of these old planes that belong to my father they are
record 05 1\2
stanley bailey
stanley no 04 1\2
stanley bailey no 4
stanley bailey 4 1\2
stanley nu 220
stanley nu 71
planes.jpg

Stanley 71 £75 - 100
Stanley 5 1/2 £50
Others £20 each

All dependant on condition.

Must not be cracked or a very worn blade or handles that are missing / cracked.

However overly restored one often don't go for much more than a good unrestored one.

Cheers James

Stanley 71 £75 - 100
Stanley 5 1/2 £50
Others £20 each
Those figures seem about right.

I paid £80 for my 71. It came complete with all cutters etc. If you don't have everything the value might be a little less, but then prices have gone up since I bought mine a couple of years ago.

£50 for the 5½ seems a little high to me but maybe I am a cheapskate. I'm not sure I would pay that.

Personally I would value a 4½ higher than a 4, but that may be because I have never even seen a 4½ and would love to get one. If I saw a 4½ for £20 I would not hesitate to buy it.

Have a look on Ebay for rough prices.

If you are looking to sell now is the time to do so, 2nd hand tool prices have gotten stupid recently. I've seen Stanley 5's go for £80-90 in far worse condition than what your picture shows.

I'd list them on Ebay, starting price at the lower end of what Jamesshow suggested and just see what happens...

Alternatively if you don't want to deal with the faff try Tooltique or the Old Tools Store, they are dealers that may offer you a reasonable price (not as much as if you sell them yourself obviously)

Ditto to the above. There is a probably temporary run up on hand tools right now in the states, too, but you have to sell on eBay to take advantage of it.

Latest posts

Back