Old tools - Worth anything?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicfirth

Reaction score
My in-laws have just given me a box of tools that belonged to my wife's great uncle, who was a carpenter/cabinet maker.

They comprise various rasps, folding rulers, squares, chisels, calipers and dividers, a vernier caliper, a Stanley level, a Marples sliding bevel, a marking gauge and various nail sets and awls, etc. Obviously this is only a small part of the tools he would have used but the rest went long ago, the box they were in implies to me that they would have been some that he would have taken with him to do a job rather than for use in a workshop.

With the exception of the level and bevel I can't make out any makers names and they are all clearly well used.

There are some nice items though, the marking gauge has a blade and a brass wedge to hold it in rather than the sharp nails that my current one has. 2 of the chisels were in a draw of the box and have no rust and still have the keenest edge on them you could get! There also are what look like 8mm router bits but I don't think that he would have had a router?

Now my in-laws are not well off and I am concerned these tools may have some value. I don't think they do and although I would enjoy using them, I would hate to unwittingly deprive them of some badly needed cash by accepting them and they won't take any money from me!

So I would like to get some idea of whether these kind of tools are collectable. I know that old planes and rustic tools are, but these probably only date back to between the 50's and 70's indeed the vernier calipers are in inches and cm.

I've put a picture of them here http://www.firth.nildram.co.uk/teds_tools.jpg its 320k so may take a while to view if you're on a dial up rather than broadband.

Any body any ideas?

Cheers

Nic

Nic,

It does not look as though there is anything there of any great value - I have a marking gauge just like myself that I bought in the 60's or 70's and it was then about half a crown.

I should use what you can and enjoy it.

Nic,

I agree with Chris; nothing of any great value money-wise there, but some useful tools to use. Collectable? Well, I suppose so. But not valuable - yet. Enjoy. 8)

Cheers, Alf

The little wooden caliper rule might have value - SOME of those are rare.

A dealer would pay around a tenner for the lot. Keep them and use them.

BugBear

bugbear":ly1v7d79 said:
The little wooden caliper rule might have value - SOME of those are rare.
Balance of probability = don't worry about it, Nic :wink:

SDP, s'possible some are craftsmanmade :wink: I think, yeah. Not particularly regular in shape, and the squared-off ends are a bit unusual. Although for all we know someone cut off the ends to removed the mushroomed over bit. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for all the replies.

One thing that a work colleage has mentioned is that Stanley items from the USA might be valuable and upon inspection I see that the pocket level bears the words Stanley, New Britain Conn, USA, 1916 on left side and Level spirit, M G, Mk 1 on the right. Any ideas?

Also could anyone confirm if the things that look like router bits actually are?

The caliper ruler is in such poor condition that I can't see that it would be of any value even if one in good condition was.

Alf, forgive my ignorance but I'm not familiar with the abbreviation "SDP's"

Cheers

Nic

Doh!

I've been trying to work out SDP ~ something something punch......

or small diameter something.........

etc....

As it hapens 4 out of the 5 chisels may have been hand made and some show signs that they have been hit with a very small pin hammer as there are edge indentations smaller than a 5 pence! An odd method for a crafts man to use, me thinks!

Anyway thanks for putting me out of my misery.

Cheers

Nic

Back