Old tool id

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hjc

Reaction score
I've been rummaging through a drawer of tools I inherited, and there are a few I'm clueless about.

They look like files and rasps, but have smooth surfaces. The one shown in an image separate could be some sort of chisel at a push, but the end of it splays outwards, and it's blunt.

Anyone know what they're for?

Thanks

Henry

Attachments

• IMG_20211114_125445485.jpg
    IMG_20211114_125445485.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20211114_125625204.jpg
    IMG_20211114_125625204.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 71
Metal scrapers. For scraping the surface of white metal bearings, scraping off high spots on what is supposed to be a flat surface or, if you are a total masochist, scraping the bed of that bargain metalworking lathe you bought in a flush of enthusiasm where the saddle either wobbles or jams solid at some point.

This is good to know, because I did in fact but a metalworking lathe in a flush of enthusiasm. About the only bit I think is in good condition is the bed though. Thanks.

Quick google of "vintage metal scraper tool" brings up a few that look almost identical to these. Thanks again.

Spot on Dickm - they're definitely for shaving white metal bearings after they have been 'blued'. Watched my Dad using these scrapers many times and many years ago.

Back