UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score

Bluekingfisher

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, very interesting as I often have old fleabay and boot fair tools to clean up. The home brew reviver is especially useful. Does it have longevity once mixed? I assume it will not produce gases which could erupot after a shelf period?

Did you add wax or further protection after the cleaning of the handscrew and plane or is the finish the original top coat.

Many thanks.

David

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Bluekingfisher":2b0tog3w said:
Thanks for posting this, very interesting as I often have old fleabay and boot fair tools to clean up. The home brew reviver is especially useful. Does it have longevity once mixed? I assume it will not produce gases which could erupot after a shelf period?

Did you add wax or further protection after the cleaning of the handscrew and plane or is the finish the original top coat.

Many thanks.

David
My current part-bottle must be 6 months+ and is still fine and I shall keep using it until it's all gone. No gases are released in the bottle which is tightly lidded.

I am pretty sure that the plane and handscrew were photographed with just the reviver mixture. A bit of buffing with a cloth will raise some shine.

If you want extra protection a coat of microcrystalline wax is what I would suggest, especially good on old metal parts.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update - I've found that the reviver mixture is not just for wood; it can also be good for dealing with lightly rusted metal items.

Here are a couple of examples. A plane iron by I&H Sorby

Before

After

And a rather nice patent picture framing clamp (patented 1897)

Before

After

I reckon there are three big advantages.

1.) It is much quicker than other methods - both of these had a quick rub with some 00 steel wool dipped in the mixture, were left a few minutes, then the surplus was wiped off with kitchen towel.

2.) It preserves the aged appearance.

3.) It leaves a clean surface which has some protection against rust and can be further protected with wax if desired.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score

JonnyW

Established Member
Reaction score
Brilliant piece, thank you for posting.

I have a box full of old wooden planes that were given to me, and I have absolutely no experience in restoring wooden tools.

How long can the bottle of solution last between projects? (sorry for the stupid question).

Jonny

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
JonnyW":3uwrcubm said:
Brilliant piece, thank you for posting.

I have a box full of old wooden planes that were given to me, and I have absolutely no experience in restoring wooden tools.

How long can the bottle of solution last between projects? (sorry for the stupid question).

Jonny
As far as I can tell, the mixture keeps indefinitely. I just make up a bottle and keep it till it's used up, then mix some more.

As an extra suggestion - if you don't have any experience of restoring tools, it's possible that you don't have much experience of wooden planes either - so you might want to start a thread with some pictures of what you have got, so people can offer comments on the condition/ rarity/ usefulness of what you have. While many of the thousands of old wooden planes are common and not worth a lot of cash, there are a few types and makers which are sought after, and most collectors prefer to do any cleaning themselves.

In writing this note, I rather skipped over the important first stage of "assess what you have and decide how much work, if any, is appropriate."

Dendrophore

Reaction score
Hi, I'm newly registered on this forum after a few years of reading unregistered.
I would like to say a few things about chemical agents, turp is an unsafe product, highly alergenic because of it's terpen content. Most people think it's safe because it comes from pine but it's not. Most derivated products from petrol are alergenic too. So I think it's best to warn users and especially newbies to protect, wear gloves, mask when necessary, wear ear protection when needed. I'm an old woodworker and suffer from various deseases due mainly to dust breathing, varnish chemicals and so on. We share the same passion about tools and trade so let's make it safer so that we can practise longer!
I'm French so feel free to correct my mistakes!
One more thing, pieces of cloth soaked with linseed oil is can self ignate so keep them in a closed metal box when not in use or put them in a bucket of water when finished.