Old Stanley's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ByronBlack":14vrstj9 said:
I am very tempted to go with a newer, more instant gratification LV, LN's are simply too much for me, and when I look at the reviews, i find it very hard to justify the extra cost of the LN's when the LV's work almost as well.

However saying that, I bought an old Stanley no.4 today, has some surface rust and the wooden front-knob has seen better days, but overall it's very solid and should scrub-up nicely. I have 2 No4's now - I have a very old and knackered Record.

Just got to find a No.5 1/5 now, and for a block plane i'm going either going for the LV Apron or LA Block.

LN block planes do not cost much more than LV and I have seen many reviews, all of which place the LN in front - I cannot comment as i have only used the LNs whihc are superb

You buy these planes to use for the rest of your woodworking life, so buy the best :wink:

ByronBlack":241p15b8 said:
I've been looking at the LN blocks, If I were to buy the rebate block plane, can this be used as both a normal all-purpose block plane and also for cleaning up tenon's? Or should it really be JUST a rebate plane?
For me the answer is yes, but...

It does not have the overall strength of a regular block plane as the toe will flex. Maybe not a big deal. And I do use it as a general block plane if it is in my hand from shaving a tenon. I don't think it is the most comfortable plane to hold, mainly.

But the little bronze LN 102 (my preference over the cast iron version) is a delight to use and is the most used block plane I have. A tie for second most used would be my LV LA block (the full-sized one) and an old Stanley #9 1/2.

If I needed a block plane and desired to use it for tenons and such and I didn't want to purchase two block planes at the time, I would buy and use the LN rebate block until I could get another for general use.

That said, I mostly use a chisel to pare tenons, except if I need to adjust a shoulder of a tenon and have my large shoulder plane in hand. Then I use it.

Mike

Cheers for the post mike,

I'll be using a block plane a lot, more so than anything else, so its probably best I get a dedicated standard block, and a good set of chisels for cleaning up until i can afford a shoulder plane.

However, as much as I love the look (and price) of the bronze blocks, does the lack of adjustable mouth hinder it? I'm currently using an el-cheapo faithful block plane and like the adjustable mouth - I really want to get the bronze one because it looks great, but the lack of adj mouth is something I worry about, also am I right in thinking you can 'shoot' with the bronze?

Hi Byron,

The lack of an adjustable mouth isn't an issue, depending on what one uses it for. As a fine cutting tool, it really cannot take a heavy shaving. I use it for shaping edges and chamfering tenon ends prior to paring tenon end grain with it. I also use it to plane down the meeting of rails and stiles if the fit isn't flush.

I do these things, and more I suppose, simply because it is always in a pocket of an apron or next to where I'm working.

It wouldn't be the plane I would use to shoot anything other than short boards for say a jewelry box or something of an "appropriate" size. It also isn't of use on a shooting board per se due to the curved sides and its short length makes it not the best choice for a mitre jack.

Take care, Mike

Ok, my plane search is now over. I have purchased the bronze LN block plane after much thought, it was between that and the Rebate, but I think i'll buy a dedicated shoulder-plane later on.

I've also ordered a Veritas Low Angle Jack, so this should now have me sorted for all my planning-needs. And I have a couple of old records/stanleys to refurb/hone.

Thanks to everyone for the fantastic advice and insight.

I've also settled on which chisels to buy (in regards to my other post) i've gone for the Kirschens boxset from Axminster, and will add some dedicated mortice chisels another day.

That should be the end of my spending for a while (or atleast until I come back from the bruce luckhurst course :twisted: :twisted: )

ByronBlack":1vbzyhu9 said:
I've been looking at the LN blocks, If I were to buy the rebate block plane, can this be used as both a normal all-purpose block plane and also for cleaning up tenon's? Or should it really be JUST a rebate plane?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=20387&recno=18

without a doubt yes. the LN rabbett block is a fantastic LA block plane that I use more than any of my other blockplanes. I also clean up teneons with it and end grain on joints :wink:

the LN 102 is not really suited to shooting board work as it's sides are curved front to back which would make it difficult to control

ByronBlack":1seoaqpy said:
Ok, my plane search is now over. I have purchased the bronze LN block plane...
I think you will enjoy the little thing.
ByronBlack":1seoaqpy said:
That should be the end of my spending for a while (or atleast until I come back from the bruce luckhurst course :twisted: :twisted: )
No offense, but I don't believe you :lol: -- unless you leave for the class tomorrow :wink: .

But speaking of that, have fun and learn lots!

Mike

Ok, so after a bit of confusion with Axminster, I received my goods today:
Lie-Nielsen 102 Bronze Block Plane,
Kieschen Chisel Set
Japanese Ryoba Saw (very cool)
and a rather fetching apron.

So my first impressions of the Lie-Nielsen are that is has nice ye-olde packaging which I love, I hate when everything these days is wrapped in plastic. The booklet is succinct, easy to understand and made of recycled paper (bonus points with the tree-huggers).

My first task with the plane was to smooth up some rough spots on a curly maple cap on a guitar body, bearing mind it's not honed and used straight from the box it cuts nicely and smoothly, a little tear-out was created but I suspect this is because of the lack of back-bevel to increase the angle. It's really nice to hold, and easy to adjust and the bronze looks fantastic. It now sits on a shelf with a couple of nasty old Record & Stanley No.4's - there's something wrong with that picture, and I think the LN is gettting lonely.

Byron
I'd give the 102 a good sharpening before considering a back bevel. You might be surprised at its performance.....
Philly :D

Will do!

I think i'm going to wait until I come back from the Luckhurst course though, as i'll be learning all about sharpening on the course and will have access to water/diamond stones etc.

Its really an impressive little thing, I'm glad I got this instead of the Lee Valley now!

ByronBlack":257xs4ro said:
...a little tear-out was created but I suspect this is because of the lack of back-bevel to increase the angle.
Ahh... Back bevels on bevel up blades are different animals. What you want here is a steeper bevel of the ordinary variety.

ByronBlack":257xs4ro said:
It now sits on a shelf with a couple of nasty old Record & Stanley No.4's - there's something wrong with that picture, and I think the LN is gettting lonely.
And so it begins... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Philly":3u204y3m said:
By the way Byron-have you defiled the image of Our Lord??? :twisted:
Watch your back.......
Philly :wink:

A little heresy didn't do anyone any harm :twisted: :twisted:

Alf":1az36xod said:
ByronBlack":1az36xod said:
...a little tear-out was created but I suspect this is because of the lack of back-bevel to increase the angle.
Ahh... Back bevels on bevel up blades are different animals. What you want here is a steeper bevel of the ordinary variety.

ByronBlack":1az36xod said:
It now sits on a shelf with a couple of nasty old Record & Stanley No.4's - there's something wrong with that picture, and I think the LN is gettting lonely.
And so it begins... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for the tip Alf.

With regards the lonely LN, a LV BU-Jack is winging its way soon, I really couldn't be bothered to waste too much time hunting down old planes, i've been given a couple of oldies just to practice on, and will probably convert one to a scrub-plane.

Once the LV arrives, I don't think i'll be needing anymore planes, possible a shoulder or rebate to clean tenons with, but thats about it.

Once the LV arrives, I don't think i'll be needing anymore planes, possible a shoulder or rebate to clean tenons with, but thats about it.

In my crystal ball i see a post that looks like:

Once the shoulder plane arrives I don't think I'll be needing any more planes except perhaps............, but that's about it! :twisted:

Les

I think the LN is gettting lonely
I don't think i'll be needing anymore planes, possible a shoulder or rebate to clean tenons with, but thats about it
Oh Byron, your goose is cooked. It is done for. You have slipped down the slope and don't even realize how far :lol: .

As was mentioned, you'll want to make the bevel side a different angle at some point. LN ships their planes with a bevel ground at 25*, which then makes the included angle 37*--because the low angle version has a 12* bed, unless you bought the standard angle bronze #102, then the included angle is 45*. All that can be a bit confusing but there it is.

LN recommends a 1*-2* secondary bevel. But if you are using it on the face of boards, I would recommend beginning with a 5* secondary bevel. Which means just hone it at 30*. It doesn't take much.

I would also recommend Leonard Lee's book on sharpening. Full of good stuff.

Have fun at the course. Let us know of your next purchase :)

Mike

ByronBlack":222zo9v7 said:
Oh deary me... I almost feel guilty that we didn't warn you sufficiently. 8-[

Cheers, Alf

:lol:

I appreciate your concern, but I really do mean it about the handplanes, I can't justify buying more than the essentials. Espeically as guitar hardware for each guitar costs more than your average Lie-Nielsen, and I like guitars way more than hand planes :)

Back