Old snooker table frame - what wood is this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicallen

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what wood this is please? I made the box from the old frame of a snooker table.

Thx
Nic
20210504_203557.jpg

Swietenia macrophylla is a possibility, aka (South American) big leaf mahogany, if the snooker table was more than about 50 - 60 years old. Slainte.

Most likely mahogany if it's from an old table. The tables in our old snooker club were back in the 1960s, and they were probably forty or fifty years old when the club purchased them.

The grain looks very similar to that of an old table top left in my daughters flat by the previous owners.

Nigel.

I have a decent stash of sizeable offcuts I got from the snooker table manufacturer Riley more than 40 years ago and was told by the guys in the factory that it is Brazilian mahogany, it looks exactly like yours.

I worked with a load of reclaimed mahogony parquet flooring some time back.

The grain of that was much much more dense than the wood in the photo.

I actually have a load of snooker table wood also, exactly like the stuff in the photo, but not at all like the (assumed) mahogony flooring.

The snooker table wood is much softer also. It was all stained darker than it was, whilst the flooring was the colour that you associate with mahogony.

That certainly looks like mahogany to me. Julian, could your flooring have been teak? I have some (I believe) teak parquet which I would characterise as being like close grained, dense mahogany.

That certainly looks like mahogany to me. Julian, could your flooring have been teak? I have some (I believe) teak parquet which I would characterise as being like close grained, dense mahogany.
Teak is used for parquet, is also a bit darker with an oily feel to it.

I always thought teak was lighter? Teak garden furniture and the like?

Could be Utile, Sapele or Mahogany. If its Mahogany it will be lighter in weight if the other two denser.

That flooring could be Teak or Iroko or a mix of both.

Ollie

Latest posts

Back