Old Routers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi Guys,
Have just joined the forum and have enjoyed browsing through the previous posts. Not sure about the one about spiders, I think they have their own website somewhere!!

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I am currently researching for a new book on routing to be published by Trend in December. We desperately need pics of early routing equipment especially routers themselves. If anyone has any suitable pics or even the items themselves I would be happy to pay any costs involved re transportation etc. I would love to get hold of a 1920's router but anything upto the '60's will do.

Thanks for your help.

Turner

Welcome to the forum, Turner.

Hmm, well I've got a Millers Falls #67, a patternmaker's knock-off of a Stanley #71 1/2, a Stanley #271 and an "old woman's tooth" (Does she know you've got it? I hear you ask...) However I'm guessing they're not quite what you're looking for... :oops: Have you got on to ye makers of yore, they must have examples of their early tailed demons? (Ignore this suggestion if there's any egg sucking implied)

Cheers, Alf

Interesting, I swear i've seen one being used in one of the guides in New Woodworking. I'll have a look later to see what the guys name is - was a fixed base (60's I rekon) type.

This wonderful book - make sure you don't miss out the Elu MOF96 now :wink:

:) Thanks guys, all ideas gratefully received. I already have a lot of old hand stuff, it is the early electrical that I really need. I have an old Stanley fixed base but need even earlier than this. I guess museums are going to be the next trawl.

I could never forget the old MOF 96, still use one regularly, the best ever router :wink:

Turner

Is this the Stanley you have info on already?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=11810

Wow, they came with far more accessories in those days, didn't they? :lol: What do you think of the plane attachment, Alf?

67_1.JPG

c5_1.JPG

NeilCFD

Heh heh, that's actually pretty cool. Looks like they just strapped a busted #6 to the side of the thing! Hmm, even an option for bevelling I see. Ah the good old days when every power tool had a dozen attachments to turn it into every other kind of power tool. :lol:

Hmm, come to think of it I saw a fixed base Stanley at the CBS a couple of weeks ago. Got all excited when my mate said "there's a router over here". Imagine how my face fell... :D

Cheers, Alf

:D Thats just the sort of thing I want, anybody out there got one, or anything older?

Thanks for the interest :D

Turner

I'm trying to think where I have seen lots of old items, the engineerium in Brighton had a few items, but I don't think any routers, but it might be worth giving the curator a call. It certainly had some old electrical stuff, like vacuum cleaners, and nice hand tools, which I couldn't work out were in a glass case, 'cos I'd like 'em in me workshop but oh well.... "antiques apparently"

http://www.britishengineerium.com/

Also, has the science museem in London got a display of old tools do I recollect? Early power drills etc? I would imagine it would be well worth a ring round the curators at a few museums.

Adam

Back