Old Rexon bandsaw worth saving?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pord

Established Member
Reaction score
I've inherited a 1996 Rexon BS-10 bandsaw from an old departed uncle. Although it was sitting for years in his leaky old shed, it's in reasonable physical condition and the motor runs smoothly enough. The blade won't stay on the wheels, though, and I don't yet know enough about bandsaws to set it up or if there are bits missing. I'd imagine a new blade would be in order. I've also obtained the operating manual from Rexon.

I definitely want a bandsaw, and have a small amount of sentimentality for using this one but not to the extent I have to spend lots of time, effort and money getting it up and running properly. I've watched Peter Millard's vids about the likes of the Aldi and Titan entry level saws, and one of those would do me fine.

So, bottom line - is this saw worth making any effort for?

Attachments

• IMG_20180626_180947-min.jpg
    IMG_20180626_180947-min.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 1,392
Well I would tell you to use the search facility to find out what others may have posted about the Rexon, but I have no idea how to find the search facility let alone advise someone else to do it.

Mike

MikeJhn":2lgl7s06 said:
Well I would tell you to use the search facility to find out what others may have posted about the Rexon, but I have no idea how to find the search facility let alone advise someone else to do it.

Mike
There's a magnifying glass symbol in the blue strip along the top of every page Mike.

I don't use the site's own search any more, I actually search all forums externally using Google as it generally allows you to refine search parameters better and can often be much faster.

Anyway, Pord, there are quite a few previous threads on Rexon bandsaws. Here are a few:
rexon-bs10sa-ka-band-saw-t74821.html
bandsaw-advise-please-t18757-15.html
rexon-bandsaw-problems-t17625.html
bandsaw-help-please-t70312.html

I have no knowledge of that band saw at all, but based purely on my Rexon pillar drill, (which is an excellent for the price for the price) I would suggest it IS definitely worth saving.

That's assuming that you have basic hand tool skills and can use stuff like spanners, files, hack saws, etc (IF necessary that is, although from the pic, it does look very clean and tidy and probably only needs adjustment and replacement of "consumables" such as bearings, belt, etc).

And there's always plenty of help on here if you get stuck with anything, plus I would strongly recommend our own Steve Maskery's excellent set of 3 band saw DVDs if you want to have a thorough knowledge of how to set up, and the reasons behind everything you do (i.e. "how it works really"). One of the best few quid I ever spent, usual disclaimers. Linky:

http://www.workshopessentials.com/shop/ ... ommon/home

AND Rexon do have a spares place in UK, linky:

http://www.rexonspares.co.uk/

And as many others here will also support, Ian John of Tuffsaws is the place to go for blades AND sensible advice, again, usual disclaimers. Linky:

http://tuffsaws.co.uk/

HTH

Just like taking photos; the best camera to use is the one that you have. I also inherited the same bandsaw and whilst three-wheeled machines are a bit rarer now, it works fine. The blade not staying on the wheels is probably due to the tracking which is adjusted for the top wheel at the back. A nut or knob will wind in and cause that top wheel to swing up if your blade is falling off the front. It has no bottom blade guides which can be a little bit of an issue for curves, but not problematic.

Buy a 1435mm 6mm blade from Tuffsaw in their thinner material range so you can get sufficient tension on the blade and it'll cut just fine. Watch the Paul Snodgrass video on bandsaw setup and you'll be off to the races. This saw does have the nice benefit of 250-280mm throat which you won't get on similar sized machines.

I've inherited a 1996 Rexon BS-10 bandsaw from an old departed uncle. Although it was sitting for years in his leaky old shed, it's in reasonable physical condition and the motor runs smoothly enough. The blade won't stay on the wheels, though, and I don't yet know enough about bandsaws to set it up or if there are bits missing. I'd imagine a new blade would be in order. I've also obtained the operating manual from Rexon.

I definitely want a bandsaw, and have a small amount of sentimentality for using this one but not to the extent I have to spend lots of time, effort and money getting it up and running properly. I've watched Peter Millard's vids about the likes of the Aldi and Titan entry level saws, and one of those would do me fine.

So, bottom line - is this saw worth making any effort for?

PORD
I was lucky enough to find one of these on a tool stall and it has been very useful and trouble-free for months until the blade gave up. The new ones I bought have both broken almost straight away and I guess that I haven't got the tension right. What's your experience? I've just ordered some more from Rexon Spares although they're a bit more money than other sites.

I see you managed to get a manual. Is there any chance that you could upload it (I assume it's a pdf?)

Isn't it so that blades break more often on 3-wheeled bandsaws? The smaller wheels make the bending of the blade a bit more severe from what I have been told (my bandsaw is a JET 16 incher which is just excellent).
Reason I am on this thread is that a mate has the Rexon and I had to help him get blades, which I got hold of at a very fair price (£10 equivalent) each.

I had one of those but it was Ryobi brand. They came under a lot of names. Get a new blade read up on it and see how it goes. Other than that I would not be inclined to spend too much on it. I only kept it for about a year as it was only good for small work and I wanted to cut bigger stuff. Was a juggling act to keep the blade on and I broke a few blades too. It was my first bandsaw so I was pretty green at the time. When I got 14'' 2 wheeler things were just so much easier.
Regards
John

My dad had a Rexon bandsaw (c. 2002 vintage) for a while; it was awful. I sourced him a much older Inca machine which was far far better! Night and day.

Curiously, I bought and sold those saws for the same value on the usual auction site.

But perhaps there was a steep decline in quality; that older machine may be better.

Got a similar machine, it might make a nice wee strip sander someday,
but it's so bloomin loud with screaming universal motor, that I'd have to have a need for it.
6" belts for the sander won't fit, so you'd have to make your own.

Latest posts

Back