Old Rabone rule

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richarddownunder

Established Member
Reaction score
I was given this old folding rule/spirit level years ago and it languished in a drawer until, the other day, it caught my eye and I thought I'd give it a slight smarten up and get the thing folding and unfolding. It really is a lovely thing and there is something tactile about wood and brass. The only fault in it's manufacture seems to be that the angle on the built-in protractor is slightly out which is rather surprising given the quality of the rest of it. I'm not missing something am I - it can't be adjusted can it? It looks like a pin at the bottom. Anyway, despite this, it gives me an inkling into the quality of tools in days gone by. Can anyone date this please?
Rule.jpg

Cheers
Richard

Attachments

• Rule.jpg
    Rule.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 867
Not wanting to disappoint Richard, or Nigel, this is all I can offer.

I agree that it's a model 1190 - the combination of a protractor and a spirit level is fairly distinctive. I can see from catalogues that the 1190 was offered in 2 and 3 foot versions.

The Rabone company was founded in 1784. In 1871 it moved from Birmingham to nearby Hockley Abbey. They used the Hockley Abbey name and a triple triangle trade mark from that time.

Richard, is your rule marked elsewhere as "Hockley Abbey"? If so, it's later than 1871. Also, they became Rabone & Sons in 1877, which may help.

They continued trading for a long time, dominating the market for boxwood rules. The next easy date for dating old tools is 1963 when they merged with Chesterman to form Rabone Chesterman - but it's obvious that your rule is older than that.

As the listings on the Worthpoint site show, this model exists with a plain semi-circle style of arch and also with a more elegant double curve. I don't know which is earlier and which later though it seems likely that yours would be later, since designs like this tended to be simplified rather than made more elaborate.

Looking for the 1190 in catalogues is a bit frustrating. There's an 187 catalogue scanned by Google but as far as I can see it's not in there.

I also have a pdf of Rabone's Catalogue no 30, which has it, but is not dated. I'd guess it was from the 1930s or 40s, from the style of the typography.

rabone1190_cat30.png

It's also in the 1925 Melhuish catalogue, priced 5s 6d each.

The 1938 Marples catalogue has a large section devoted to Rabone rules which by that time were being distributed by Marples. It's in there, at 68 s per dozen, with the same plainer style of arch as yours.

It's still there in 1959, but with the double curved arch.

rabone1190_Marples1959.png

So it's hard to be certain, but it looks like this model had quite a long time span when it was available, and wasn't one of the seriously rare models but a useful one worth including in general merchants' lists.

I don't really know which arch style was earlier but I do know that catalogues are not a foolproof guide - old picture blocks got re-used for decades if they were near enough to give the general appearance of a tool.

Looking at your photo closely, there are two dots on the protractor. Both should have fixing pins in. It looks like the upper one is missing and I wonder if the other is broken? That would let the disc twist round so, as you say, it's not in proper alignment.

Even with that damage, it's a nice thing to have. Do you have more photos, showing any maker's markings?

Edited to add: I see from Bourbon's link that it's still there in the 1964 Buck and Hickman catalogue, but now at the shocking price of 21s 9d.

Im1964Buck-Rabone.jpg

And it was still there in the 1971-2 edition, in a much reduced range of boxwood rules - but now with a plain V-joint - and costing £1.83.

Attachments

• rabone1190_cat30.png
    rabone1190_cat30.png
    953.7 KB · Views: 652
  • rabone1190_Marples1959.png
    rabone1190_Marples1959.png
    402.7 KB · Views: 790
Wow, many thanks for all that info everyone - Andy, not disappointed at all. I could take more photos but the markings say J.Rabone & sons Birmingham England Warran Best Boxwood on the inside of the rule when folded - nothing else. No reference to Hockley Abbey. On closer inspection, I can get a 0.05 mm feeler gauge between the protractor dial and brass behind it. The lower pin is definitely intact so I wonder if someone has tried removing one of the pins in an attempt to rotate the dial to align it but has given up. So, maybe the misalignment was from new. Shame really as if it was lined up, I'd probably find the occasional use for it as an approximate angle check. As it is, I'll probably just admire it now and again - it's too confusing to add ~3° to each measurement.

Anyway, from your description, it is later than 1877 but before the Hockley Abbey marking made it onto this product .

Thanks

Richard
By the way, I came across this on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Reprint-Catalogu ... 0913602493

My Mom worked there in the '50's. As far as I know, she worked printing the numbers onto steel rulers. The machine she worked on is in Birmingham Museum. she upset a curator when she told him there were bits missing off it!

Bourbon, you can probably confirm what I have been told, that the firms making boxwood rules set up in the 19th century with the classic 'division of labour' route to efficiency, where each step was done by different hands, then passed on through the factory.
And that's about where they stayed - never really shifting into machine production.
One side effect was that there was no incentive to remove old lines from the catalogue. If someone wanted to order an obscure design in, say, the 1950s, they still had the patterns from 50 years or more earlier and people able to make them.

Unsold stock was kept too. I have a couple of unfinished rules from the Smallwood factory, marked out in French inches, still there when the factory closed, not so long ago.

Oops - I need to correct myself here - Rabones did introduce steam power and machinery, in the 1840s, to meet competition from America.
I've found a long letter from John Rabone to the Birmingham Daily Press where he bemoans the opposition to machinery from the apprentices and trained hands and describes how he was literally stabbed in the back with a sharpened turnscrew by one employee who thought the machinery threatened his livelihood.

Who says old tools aren't exciting!

And here's the 1938 Marples listing I didn't include last night. Plain semicircular arch. 5s 8d wholesale price.

rabone1190_Marples1938.png

Attachments

• rabone1190_Marples1938.png
    rabone1190_Marples1938.png
    310.9 KB · Views: 547
in the '70s I saw a box of Rabone Chesterman (they merged and consolidated into the Sheffield works on Ecclesall Rd) of this type (angles marked, spirit level, slightly less fancy joint), selling for peanuts at a market stall - because the box wood had warped - I bought some hoping to 'unwarp' put them under weights in a damp place etc etc - still have two
somewhere - now looking much older but still warped -any tips for unwarping box - heat??

I was given this old folding rule/spirit level years ago and it languished in a drawer until, the other day, it caught my eye and I thought I'd give it a slight smarten up and get the thing folding and unfolding. It really is a lovely thing and there is something tactile about wood and brass. The only fault in it's manufacture seems to be that the angle on the built-in protractor is slightly out which is rather surprising given the quality of the rest of it. I'm not missing something am I - it can't be adjusted can it? It looks like a pin at the bottom. Anyway, despite this, it gives me an inkling into the quality of tools in days gone by. Can anyone date this please?
View attachment 87049

Cheers
Richard
Hi Richard, would you consider selling? Cheers, Les (Australia)

View attachment 87049

Cheers
Richard
Hi Richard, would u consider selling? Cheers, Les

Hi Richard, would you consider selling? Cheers, Les (Australia)
hi Les , i know it was awhile ago you asked him the question but i just came by it , i live sth aust i have the 3ft 1190 boxwood rule in box i would class as pretty much mint if you are interested . Garry

Boxwood rules were widely used - and still issued as standard C&G kit even in 1982 when I did a course, not having caught up with steel tape measures.
But the protractor and spirit level are more in the way of novelty gadget add-ons and wouldn't have been much use.
I wouldn't bother adjusting them - they wouldn't have been high precision to start with.

hi Les , i know it was awhile ago you asked him the question but i just came by it , i live sth aust i have the 3ft 1190 boxwood rule in box i would class as pretty much mint if you are interested . Garry
Hi Gazza, Les ain't logged on for a while but a mention like this may alert him @lesnic
Cheers, Andy

Very interesting thread Gents. It also gives an idea how expensive tools were in terms of the hours you had to work to pay for them.

I have little idea how accurate this convertor is
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency-converter/#currency-result
but putting the £1.83 from 1971/2 in for 1970 gives £25.70 now
5S 8d from 1938 at 1940 gives £11.15

to know the real value you have to know how much spare cash the average man would have had in his pocket at the end of a week - I think that's probably too hard for me to find out

excuse me if I'm rambling been up all night

And here's the 1938 Marples listing I didn't include last night. Plain semicircular arch. 5s 8d wholesale price.

View attachment 87087
In 1938 the average wage was ~£4 per week for a 48 hour week - 8p = 1s 8d per hour.

To own this piece of craftsmanship would have needed ~4 hours work - today equivalent to £60-80.

I can now buy one of these Dekton for £10 - 30 minutes work. Not as pretty but functionally more useful. More likely to be recycled as a lump of ineffective electronics inside 10 years rather than admired as a thing of beauty in 50-100 years

Latest posts

Back