old pillar drills

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippy1970

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been searching and waiting for over a year now on and off trying to ideally get a fobco bench drill but just never seem to find one within reasonable driving distance at a decent price. I've tried eBay and gumtree anyone know of anywhere else to look. Single phase is ideal but I don't mind converting a 3 phase at the right price.

Also looked at Startrite,progress,Ajax,meddings,union etc.

Did the self same thing.

Finally I increased the budget and radius and am now "married" to a lovely Fobco Star. Honestly in comparison to the more modern stuff I looked at it was well worth the little extra money and few more miles involved in getting what I wanted, just don't underestimate quite how heavy they are!!!! Final count including a single phase motor and new NVR switch was about £105 and a 140 mile round trip.

Fluff has nailed it. Spend the extra money and if needs be the extra inconvenience of further travel if you see a good pillar drill. Fobco are great and in the grand scheme of things, will likely be kept for life. Like a decent vice, a pillar drill is a pretty important part of the workshop.

Don't give up. I would also recommend checking out liquidation auctions of industrial workshops. They always have decent gear at very reasonable prices. I have used a liquidator for nearly all my engineering tools and measurement equipment. Good luck.

Paul.

I have also just traded up my cheapo bench drill - this is my new pal in the van this morning (if I got the image uploading right...). I think I overpaid (£170) but it needed to be near and soon. Seems in good nick, the odd muppet mark aside, it's 3phase dual voltage but I have an invertor on my bandsaw with a red socket I've been itching to stick something in :) I need to wire in the NVR and make sure the motor is wired for 240 though...thank god for Bob's book!

Attachments

• IMG_20120904_085904.jpg
    IMG_20120904_085904.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 3,742
Richard that sounds cheap all the ones I ever see go for over £170. I will keep looking one went for about 170 only a few miles from me wish I had gone for it now. I think that must be the going rate these days. Dealers are selling them for around 500 :shock:

It was but it was a lot further than I had intended to drive and I'm sure it was cheaper because it was three phase. I had just resigned myself to buying one from a model engineer in Yorkshire for £140 and a 200mile round trip. In hind sight I still think this would have been a good investment.

Let's be honest this drill will still be drilling "accurate" holes long after I'm in "my hole" and that is my philosophy with all the equipment I've brought for my workshop "buy the right thing one time".

If we're talking "old pillar drills" I just picked up a very old hand cranked pillar drill for £30, had to get my father in law to transport it to his house so no chance to give it closer inspection or photos yet.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

Ive gone and done it :D I won a fobco star on eBay yesterday just gotta go and pick it up , a nice 180 round trip.
When I have it I will post some pics before I start a semi refurb on it.

Chris

Hi
I think you guys are definitely on the right track there, buying good quality used stuff. I bought a cheapo bench drill (£60 new) and it really is poor quality. I thought at the time 'a new drill for £60 - wow! you can't buy a decent motor and chuck for that, and here I am getting the whole drill'. Well I was right - you can't, so it must follow that £60 buys kit which is not of decent quality. It does work and I still use it but every time I'm aware of it's quality, and the chuck is starting to be a problem now. I definitely would not buy another.

My dentist has a plaque (sorry for the pun) on his waiting room wall which reads something like:-

the misery of poor quality is remembered long after the pleasure of low price has been forgotten.

Very true, so now I wait a bit longer and save a bit more to buy kit that's worth having, even if it is second hand.

K

graduate_owner":3448y6an said:
My dentist has a plaque (sorry for the pun) on his waiting room wall which reads something like:-

the misery of poor quality is remembered long after the pleasure of low price has been forgotten.

Ruskin, if I'm not mistaken. Or was it Morris?

Good pun though!
S

Latest posts

Back