Old or new planer thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halo Jones

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a chance at a 2nd hand elu planer thicknesser which seems to be the predecessor of the dewalt 733s for about £150. Trouble is that it has no fence or dust extractor hoods with it. Given that i only have a small workshop (12 x14ft) am i better going for a new but much smaller style like axminsters mb9020?

I have to make up my mind tomorrow so comments welcome!

Thanks,

H.

You will need an extraction hood and if this a P/T you will need a fence. Are you sure that this is a planer/thicknesser and not just a thicknesser? The Dewalt model you mention is just a thicknesser. Also bear in mind that these brush-motored machines are very, very noisy!

RogerP":2wcti8ho said:
Are you sure that this is a planer/thicknesser and not just a thicknesser? The Dewalt model you mention is just a thicknesser.

This confused me for a bit but the S at the end of the 733 is for a now discontinued planer thicknesser. A new fence is still available to buy for about £35 but I cannot seem to find a replacement extraction hood.

My main worry is space but do I pass up a decent 10" planer thicknesser for the same price as a 6 or 8" one :?
The years warranty on a new machine also appeals but if this P/T is like my Elu routers then it will be built of sturdy stuff.

Welding up a new dust hood is rather easy. Maybe you could make it from plywood even easier.

If the old one is in good condition I would go for it.

I rebuilt one of these a few years back, and have to say that it wasn't of as good standard as most Elu equipment. But still at least as effective as more modern machines of similar spec.

I have a cheap thicknesser that has only been used once so far (in storage at the mo), Roger is on the money about the noise these things make, dont know if there are less noisy equivalents that might be worth looking at.

The Elu Planer/thicknesser has (well, certainly HAD) an induction motor. Don't think Elu ever made one of those "lunchbox" thicknessers (as opposed to P/T) with the brush motors.

Well, I decided to get the Elu and with a bit of a clean up and a new infeed roller it should be fine. The guy I bought it from found the dust hood so that was fine and I think it should be easy enough for my dad to construct a pretty solid fence for the machine. The only trouble is that it will a few weeks before I can play with it :-|

Thanks for all the comments.

H.

Latest posts

Back