Old lathe parts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindas

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, yesterday at dads workshop a whole load of items were identified as parts from lathes, and not the 2 lathes we have. Do you think it is worth me photographing with a view to deciding if to scrap or if they might be of use as spares?

yep get some pictures up!

Some lathe spares can be potentially quite valuable.

Adidat

adidat":1q0rd6fd said:
...Some lathe spares can be potentially quite valuable...
Especially to people with old lathes missing parts (not talking monetary value).

Cheers, Vann.

Definitely worth posting some pics of your stuff Lindas.
Not only for us to see some pics, but for these tools you have to go to a good home.
You seem to be more interested in passing these things on, rather than making money from them.
I suggest you post a picture or two of all the stuff that you might think is worthless, and we can tell you its for something or other.
I'm sure you will get a better response, if these tools are posted in the correct subforums.

Tom

Many thanks folks. I will photograph lots of lathe things but might need help to get them into the right forums as I don’t know whether for wood or metal lathes.

Thank you for all the encouragement. Marrying up things with people is the main aim

I suggest you post pictures here of your unknown stuff, then folks can tell you
what the bits are, and what subforum they would be best in, so you can get the most
information about the particular item.
Some strange things might be a guess to which sub-forum they might be best placed in,
but we love a pop quizzes, aswell as pictures of tools, especially unusual ones and we can learn aswell
from the folks in the know.
A box of " that's just rusty old junk" might be very exciting, as some folks repurpose tools for other jobs and can be very interesting indeed.
Hope this helps
Tom

Yes, it helps. Photos coming soon. Part of problem is I am in Manchester dads workshop is in Yorkshire so cant just pop round.

Here are the photos of the things that might be old lathe parts (or scrap?). Some items aren't lathe parts but I'm not sure what they are so included them. There are 2 lathes at dad's, a Drummond metal lathe and an Oliver wood turning lathe, if anything could be useful at all for these lathes please say and I can keep them aside until they are viewed. Many thanks in advance, there are a lot of items to look at. I am learning lots. And am very grateful for all the support

Attachments

• 1564151208369image.jpg
    1564151208369image.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 757
  • 1564151258882image.jpg
    1564151258882image.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 757
  • 1564151295518image.jpg
    1564151295518image.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 757
  • 1564151417528image.jpg
    1564151417528image.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 757
  • 1564151446509image.jpg
    1564151446509image.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 757
I missed 2 photos

Attachments

• 1564151343943image.jpg
    1564151343943image.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 749
  • 1564151377140image.jpg
    1564151377140image.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 749
Linda, photo 4 has two exhaust clamps, some rope or cord pulleys, hole saws and assorted non-lathe stuff. The hole saw kit are the only bits woodworkers would use ordinarily.

HTH, Sam

EDIT! EDIT! There is also a drill sharpener that I am 95% sure is a "Reliance"...mucho cool, mucho sought after by metal working bods.

Sorry, didnt see it initially. S.

That really is a mishmash of random bits and pieces. I really don't have any idea exactly what any of them belong to. I can have a punt but It's not 100% certain.

Going by the pieces of papers with the numbers on,

Photo one: I really can only spot two things I recognise here, The obvious one being a wood lathe tool rest and the other a little to the top right of it looks to be a small face plate for screwing pieces of timber too and mounting on a wood lathe. The long U shaped pieces on top look like "banjos" from a wood lathe also, and I assume the T shaped pieces are what clamp them to the bed of whatever machine they belong to. The other stuff I have no idea

Photo two: Stumped on whatever that stuff is

Photo three: Top left is some kind of metal lathe cross slide, below that to the left is an old fashioned tool holder and below that again is a nice looking live centre for supporting the end of a workpiece. The rest of the pieces I have nary a clue, the top-right piece looks a little like a machinists jack stand for a mill but I could be wrong.

Photo four (Second post): Random assortment of pulleys.

Photo five: (Second post): Top left has some faceplates, the one with the slots is for metalworking and takes bolts and clamps to hold material to it, the other two are wood type screw ones. below that is some kind of tailstock, to the right of that looks to be some kind of grinding wheel? to the top right of the faceplates looks to be an engineers 90-degree bracket. No idea on the other three pieces.

Photo six:
As Sam Said, some old exhaust clamps in the middle and a couple of pulley blocks in the top right. Big ol' tin of assorted ball bearings in the bottom left, Bottom right has a couple of hole saws, up again has a "tank cutter" and more hole saws above that. Above the holesaws looks to be as Sam said some kind of drill sharpening device.

Photo unnumbered: Not sure what the top left part is, some kind of motor mount perhaps? To the right of it you have some assorted drill bits, some morse taper shank and some straight, to the right of the drills you have a small assortment of punches, top ones are parallel punches and the ones below are tapered. Below the bracket is some kind of pulley and below that looks to be another wood lathe faceplate. The rest of the pieces allude me.

Someone else here might be able to help more and find the diamond in the rough but most of this I would consider junk. I'd say sell the live centre, drill bits, punches, hole saws, tank cutter and drill bit sharpener. The rest of it could possibly lumped into one listing as a job lot and sold that way rather than scraping them or trying to sell all the individual unknown pieces. A lot of the random pieces seem to have the same colour so possibly they all belong to a machine somewhere. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Thank you Trevanion, don't say you've not been of help. I've been scribbling it all down . Sounded extremely impressive to hear many of those new words for the first time. At least I am getting an idea about what is scrap and what not and I can start to label it up and not just stare at it all. Thank you very much for the extended vocabulary.

The parts at the bottom of photo 2 are electric motor mounts, two pairs. The part to the left of the numbered paper looks rather tasty, could we have some closer photos please.

The various pullies and bearings will sell well - look for V (or vee) pullies on E**y and you will see what they are going for. If listing them you will need to quote both the outside diameter and the bore, there are various sections of belt (A, Z etc) which you should be able to google and identify by the with of the groove. The ball bearing lathe centre bottom left of photo 3 will be another good seller. The item above that is a 4-way toolpost from a metal turnimg lathe which also should well.
Can we have more photos of the lathe slide at the top of 3 please.

Thank you so much. I will do closer photos of the items requested. At the moment I have large pieces of paper with rough sketches on of the things which I am naming as the names are given.

Latest posts

Back