Old Favourite - Biscuit Jointer Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi

I am looking at getting a biscuit jointer. I know that this has been discussed here before, but I was wondering whether anyone one had any opinions to share.

I am looking at the PC 557 which seems to be well liked. Alternatively there is the Lamello C2 which comes in a systainer which is handy. I also see that there is a newer(?) version, the C3 which is considerably more money for what seems to be a similarly spec'ed machine.

Any advice is gratefully received.

I particularly like the idea of using biscuits to line up mitre joints. Is there anything that I should be aware of with respect to using biscuits in mitre joints?

Cheers

Saint

Bless you, Saint. You've provided links. :D

Now I can't remember, although we've had this discussion before IIRC; do either of the Lamellos take the smaller size cutter for FF biscuits like the PC does? I merely toss that out into the mix for your consideration.

Cheers, Alf

They will cut slots for "S6" - 85mm x 30mm and "H9" - 38mm x 12mm (the H9 is only 3mm deep, so is used with a different blade). You can also adjust the slot dimensions manually. More info here if required.

Ray.

Luckily I have my tub of FFs handy here by the 'puter (as you do :roll: ) - they're listed as 30mm x 13mm. Just how many biscuit sizes are there?!

Cheers, Alf

I'm sure that Argee will disagree, but as far as I can see, the fence design used by the Lamello (and lots of other makes) is very restrictive compared to the PC/Mafell/Dewalt type. Its fine if you're just knocking up simple carcases, but I can't see how it can work for something a bit more out-of-the ordinary (for example an 8-sided box) unless you're happy to have the position of the slots dictated to you...but maybe I'm missing something :roll:

I haven't used the Lamello, but I've used the PC and it is a superb machine.

cheers,
Neil

I've got the C2, seems fine, only comment is the fence is only 0-90 degrees, wheras just once, in the several years I've owned it, I've needed to take a 45 degree joint against the opposite edge at 90 degrees - therefore the ability to go to 135 degrees like the PC does would have helped. In the end, I found a way round it, but it would have been simpler. Whether that function would ever be used depends on how often you'll use it for mitering.

Adam

saint

Take it from a woodkateer who is in love with his PC biscuit jointer, I can assure you, you'll will not be disappointed. I know I'm biased but I thinks its the best BJ on the market.

This review from American Woodworker might be useful - its a bit old, but I don't think the main contenders have changed very much.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil":enm8sgzl said:
I'm sure that Argee will disagree, but as far as I can see, the fence design used by the Lamello (and lots of other makes) is very restrictive compared to the PC/Mafell/Dewalt type.

The Mafell doesn't fall in that group, it has a different fence that is unique to it and the AEG (same machine, I think).

The pictures here show the difference quite clearly
http://www.mtmc.co.uk/prodtype.asp?cookiecheck=yes&PT_ID=169&strPageHistory=cat

The Mafell is a sight more flexible again than the PC/DW type, as the pivot point can be moved up and down the posts, rather being fixed at the base of the jointer.

Can't say I've used it in enough odd situations to be able to point to situations where that capability is necessary, but then I wouldn't have needed the advantages of the PC/DW type over the Lamello type either...

Jake":2s0bl45v said:
The Mafell is a sight more flexible again than the PC/DW type, as the pivot point can be moved up and down the posts, rather being fixed at the base of the jointer.

I think you'll find that the PC/DW has this facility too - in fact even my cheap Ferm does (the fence system on this is so similar to the Mafell that you have to conclude this is the machine which was ripped off for the Ferm design). In fact this is the difference that I'm talking about as being so significant compared to the Lamello type - the ability to turn the fence to 135 degrees on the PC is nice, but its not the feature which makes the big difference as far as I am concerned.

You can just make out the mechanism controlling the rise & fall in this pic of the DW:

dw682%20adjustable%20fence.jpg

Cheers,
Neil

I stand corrected.

edit: and my buying research was obviously flawed...

Well, I like the PC. In addition to being able to use the FF size of biscuit the 2 main attractions for me were the 135 degree option on the fence and the fact that the front handle is on the fence which, for me, makes it alot easier to position and use. Extraction is excellent. All in all a well designed and manufactured tool.
Img_0014Rcd.jpg

Noel

Newbie_Neil":3ia9h7pp said:
waterhead37":3ia9h7pp said:
Neil,
Who shrank your Biscuit Jointer? :lol:

It's the new DW costcutter range which uses quarter size motors. :lol:
I feel so stupid. Here was me thinking it was for biscuit jointing in confined spaces. #-o :lol:

Cheers, Alf

waterhead37":utp853p2 said:
Neil,
Who shrank your Biscuit Jointer? :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I didn't notice that they had trimmed the body off with a nice curve - DM Tools' work, not mine :wink:

Noely, we can't see the blood from that angle, you'll have to post another photo!

Cheers,
Neil

Thanks everyone.

I decided to go the PC route in the end. Ordered from TopGun today and hopefully should be here tomorrow.

I felt that having discussed the versatility of the PC I knew that if i went for the Lamello one of the first jobs that I did would need the fence to be moved to 135 degrees!! That would really annoy me!

So hopefully I will be as happy as everyone else seems to be. Another tool that I wont be able to blame if things dont fit!

Thanks again.

Saint

He, he, he...... 8)
Don't forget Girls and Boys-Lamello invented the biscuit jointer.
And yes, I have the Classic C2.
SmuggitPhilly :roll:

Back