Old Favourite - Biscuit Jointer Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Argee":9jy5c3fl said:
Perhaps I'm missing the point here, but

The problem with this is that surely you have no control over the distance of your slot from the reference edge?? What if you want a double row of biscuits, referenced from the same edge?

Don't get me wrong, the Lamello is obviously a great jointer, especially if you're mostly doing 90 degree stuff - but I do think that the PC's fence design is much more clever/adaptable, and seeing as the price is essentially the same its a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil":3ggswsb0 said:
Noely, we can't see the blood from that angle, you'll have to post another photo!

Maybe better to just keep the day job......?

Adios amigo

Noel

Neil":27zw306n said:
The problem with this is that surely you have no control over the distance of your slot from the reference edge?? What if you want a double row of biscuits, referenced from the same edge?
Neil
Cut first row, raise fence, cut second row.

Ray.

Argee":262yeiob said:
Cut first row, raise fence, cut second row
Sorry, Argee, I'm sure I'm being stupid but I just can't see how this can work :?: At 90 degrees, fine, this is what the supplementary fence is desgned for. And at 45 degrees, fine as well as long as you are happy to use the little 45 degree notch in the supplementary fence, but at all other angles I just can't see how it could work. If you have time, I would really appreciate it if you would cut, say, a 22.5 degree mitre on something fairly chunky and take a couple of pics with the Lamello in position to cut each slot, both referenced from the same edge. Either edge would do.

Thanks, I'm hoping to be proved wrong! :lol:

Cheers,
Neil

Neil":16rcks4t said:
If you have time, I would really appreciate it if you would cut, say, a 22.5 degree mitre on something fairly chunky and take a couple of pics with the Lamello in position to cut each slot, both referenced from the same edge. Either edge would do.

Thanks, I'm hoping to be proved wrong! :lol:

Cheers,
Neil
The Lamello has an indent at 22.5 degrees, so I cut a couple of chunks at that angle, referenced the first slot 20mm down from the pointed face, cut the slot then raised the fence to 35mm (I reckon to put 15mm between rows).

Picture One shows the 20mm fence setting and the 22.5 degree angle:

ukw01.jpg

Picture Two shows the same angle, but fence raised to 35mm.

ukw02.jpg

Picture Three shows the result:

ukw03.jpg

Picture Four is another angle of same:

ukw04.jpg

Finally, Picture Five shows the two blocks held together just by the biscuits.

ukw05.jpg

Obviously, you have to adjust the throw of the cutter accordingly and the Lamello allows you to do just that.

Ray.

Argee":3p3sjhxm said:
Obviously, you have to adjust the throw of the cutter accordingly

Ah, thats cleared it up for me - thanks, Ray :). I thought that there might be a fiddle to get around the problem. I must admit, though, I'm still completely sold on the alternative fence design which makes this sort of joint less fiddly.

Thanks very much for taking the time to do the demonstration, Ray - we have an informative thread to point people at now when someone is trying to weigh up the PC and Lamello!

Cheers,
Neil

Back