Old fashioned grinder wheel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a grindstone wheel, about 16" diameter and 4" across, been in the shed for about 40 years (!!) and I have been thinking of making use of it for my turning chisels and gouges. I think it is a sandstone wheel. Would this be any good for my purposes? I have both HSS and some old Marples carbon steel tools. I don't want to waste time making up a stand, axle etc if it won't do the job.
Also, would a water bath be worth fabricating?

K

Hi K
We have an old school blacksmith in the village; he has a grindstone similar to the one you have described (I think). It is run off a belt system, but he uses it for axes, scythes etc etc. I am not so sure it would be good for planes and chisels.
I think common opinion may be the HSS will prove to be a bit, well, time consuming.
Hope I'm wrong- it would be a good project!

All the best

Woodyww

graduate_owner":1u136mx0 said:
Hi all,
I have a grindstone wheel, about 16" diameter and 4" across, been in the shed for about 40 years (!!) and I have been thinking of making use of it for my turning chisels and gouges. I think it is a sandstone wheel. Would this be any good for my purposes? I have both HSS and some old Marples carbon steel tools. I don't want to waste time making up a stand, axle etc if it won't do the job.
Also, would a water bath be worth fabricating?

K

Yes I certainly do think you should use it....

Sandstone is a very gentle & forgiving abrasive for edging tools...works very well and the slurry generated hones beautifully...

Get some 2mm sheet metal and make a half round bath for it
A bit of 50X50 angle around the top....
A couple of pillow block bearings and a steel block at the front for both resting chisels on...and as a fixed reference when dressing the stone...

Some angle iron legs for it...
Don't forget a bung for draining...

You will need a drip feed for water...

For the drive either use a 1HP 4 pole motor...(you'll need to drop the speed down with a gearbox) ...or fast & loose pulleys with belt shipper for lineshaft running...

A slow running sandstone wheel running in a water bath is a very essential machine to every woodworker in my oppinion.
I have two of them. One at home and one at the workshop.

If you have a water bath you don't need a drip feed. The wheel picks up all water it needs from the bath.
An electric motor powering the wheel is a very good investment for a happy marriage.

You've reminded me of the one I used back in the 60s as an apprentice, always the essential for plane blades. Ours was a treadle type with a water bath.

Back