Old Chisel Maker ID please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Sherlocks and Sherlockesses

When I was searching for something completely different in the cave that is my workshop today...I came upon a chisel which I picked up during last bootfair season and chucked into the "basketcase - to be sorted out later" pile.

DSC_0365.JPG

Covered in paint and a "bevel" like the front of a sea cow....it was not particularly enchanting but since I had just dressed my Creusen stone and the Tormek had a clean up...I thought it might be a candidate to put through their paces.

It took a fantastic edge although the flat face had been forged rather crudely and took some work to flatten even close to what I needed.

Then I thought I would check out who it was made by and I realised because of the sawtooth impressed stamp that it was probably rather old....so I thought I would try to read it with a lupe....

DSC_0362.JPG

Now it ain't the best of pictures but I think I can see ***LSON BROTHERS CAST STEEL

Searching the Net and all my books...it could be John Wilson....but did he have a brother? He was bought out by Marsden Brothers and then by Sorby at the end of the reign of old Vic....so I guess it to be mid Victorian.

Now...knowing what sleuths you guys and gals are...(particularly one gal!)....what do you make of it?

Have you seen this mark in better nick.....

Our operators are standing by in the Toolwatch UK switchboard awaiting your posts! :mrgreen:

Cheers me dears!

Jim

toolsntat":1k2yswcx said:
Try Moulson Jim :wink:

Andy

Bullseye and direct hit in one for Andy!!!

=D> =D> =D>

Don't know why I didn't see it straight away as I have a number of Moulson irons (homer)

I can only find a later stamp on the Net but the layout is exactly the same.

Tony...in the corner until you behave! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim

Sorry, Jim - hadn't logged on in a coupla days. fwiw, I was saying Moulson too, before I'd scrolled down to Andy's post. But you'll have to take my word for that. :)

Tony Spear":46xgro8d said:
jimi43":46xgro8d said:
Hi Sherlocks and Sherlockesses

Now it ain't the best of pictures but I think I can see ***LSON BROTHERS CAST STEEL

Jim

Rolson? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Wicked...beat me too it :lol: - Rob

Back