Old British Bandsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whether that’s an OK price depends upon:
1. What machine it is
2. Whether that machine fulfils your needs
3. Whether it needs any work, be that to simply get it running, to convert from 3 phase or to replace missing bits
4. Your willingness/ability to get it to your workshop

But to put it in context, I recently bought a Startrite 14-S-1. Those can be found on auction sites for anything up to £2k. Average (for a working machine) seems to be £700-£1000, depending upon overall condition. I paid £60. I need a fence for it (but I have one of the £120 Axminster ones that will do the job) and a new blade, and it’ll be ready to work.

Crucially, I was able to collect the machine promptly.

Whether that’s an OK price depends upon:
1. What machine it is
2. Whether that machine fulfils your needs
3. Whether it needs any work, be that to simply get it running, to convert from 3 phase or to replace missing bits
4. Your willingness/ability to get it to your workshop

But to put it in context, I recently bought a Startrite 14-S-1. Those can be found on auction sites for anything up to £2k. Average (for a working machine) seems to be £700-£1000, depending upon overall condition. I paid £60. I need a fence for it (but I have one of the £120 Axminster ones that will do the job) and a new blade, and it’ll be ready to work.

Crucially, I was able to collect the machine promptly.
I think that used prices are going through the roof at the moment due to problems of getting new machines.

That’s not the whole picture; a lot of machines are not selling at inflated prices! Possibly because of the more complex logistics at the current time. There are definitely still bargains to be had.

I think that used prices are going through the roof at the moment due to problems of getting new machines.

That’s not the whole picture; a lot of machines are not selling at inflated prices! Possibly because of the more complex logistics at the current time. There are definitely still bargains to be had.
My problem with many of the machines I've seen on auction sites is that they are too far away to view. I would not buy this type of product without seeing it working first. Been caught out before with dishonest sellers.

I’ve seen a couple of good startrite machines down in Hampshire. But if you’re looking at saws for £700, you may find something at a dealer.

If you want something smaller and/or continental, the Inca and Kity handsaws are well regarded and fairly plentiful in the UK. You can also find used Elektra Beckum saws, which fit your definition.
For bigger and continental, you can't go wrong with SCM. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Thomas Robinson and sons 1950's Awesome!

SAM_6138.JPG
SAM_6139.JPG

SAM_6141.JPG
SAM_6142.JPG

My problem with many of the machines I've seen on auction sites is that they are too far away to view. I would not buy this type of product without seeing it working first. Been caught out before with dishonest sellers.
There is a record bandsaw for sale on Facebook marketplace for £350 in Southampton at mo.

Yea, wants £350 but it is the bs250 which is selling new at £300. Don't need the stand, which you can get for £20 if you look around.
Gosh that is crazy.

My apologies Indidnt look at the model number etc.

I've seen Wadkin DR bandsaws for sale at £750....crazy really as that's probably the Rolld Royce of narrow blade bandsaws. Mind you they are over 7'0 tall and weigh over a ton.

Back