Old bandsaw to keep an eye for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingAether

Eternal noob
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm finally starting to look for a bandsaw with an ok budget and i'd rather buy used to maximise bang for buck.
Im curious what opinions people have on older bandsaws that would be found used and which to look out for around £300-500.
I really like the 352, the slimmer profile would be a huge bonus in my tiny shop but i can see the price is very over-inflated; anything similar to check out ? bench
Bench mounted or free-standing is fine but id rather free-standing, i'd need to make a stand and take up the same space either way so the more weight the better.
pulley settings for metal and wood without modification would be ideal but i have a good DC speed controller so i could always replace a motor if its made for wood.
Thank you

What do you mean 352 price is inflated? I was going to suggest that machine, it takes some waiting and I’d say gumtree not eBay, but you can pick them up for under £300.

F.

A few years ago i got given a BS10 Rexon bandsaw.
I wasnt expecting much but its really quite a capable little machine for its size.

Fitzroy":1avq9uee said:
What do you mean 352 price is inflated? I was going to suggest that machine, it takes some waiting and I’d say gumtree not eBay, but you can pick them up for under £300.

F.

+1
I got mine for that though it was from a deceased friend's workshop I paid her the going rate for s/h machines at the time. She wanted me to have it foc but my mate would have come back and haunted me had I done that. :lol:
They come up fairly often. Keep an eye of Facebook marketplace as well.

Not a nice thought but the consequences of this virus will mean small businesses going to the wall and possibly a glut of machinery for sale in due course.

Fitzroy":1p07ipk0 said:

F.
I can see over the years its been recommended a lot as a well built, cheap, bandsaw and the prices i've seen seem a lot higher than they should be. I've only seen 2 not on ebay and within a realistic distance in 6 months~. One was £450 and needed repairs, one was about double that, i should mention it needs to be 1ph. If i find one under £300 i'd be majorly surprised.

Yes, the 352 Bandsaws have become seriously bloated in price in the last two or so years from being able to pick one up for under £300 to being lucky to pick one up at under £500 and possibly paying upwards of £700 for a really tidy one. They're an excellent, bomb-proof and simple machine which is why they've garnered a bit of a cult following which has pushed the price up, I blame this forum :lol:

If it were me looking for a new bandsaw to compete with the 352 on price, I'd personally be looking at one of Hammer's N2-35 saws. I haven't got experience with the machine specifically but if it's anything like their Felder FB510 saw it's probably pretty good for around £850. I know it doesn't exactly fit in your £500 budget but sometimes it doesn't hurt to push the envelope a bit if it means you end up with something good.

If you keep an eye on eBay, Facebook, etc... you'll come across something suitable probably for about the right money as there's plenty of machines out there.

I see on ebay they are from £800 upwards at the mo.

post corona prices might be different though.....

RobinBHM":2zyq41tv said:
I see on ebay they are from £800 upwards at the mo.

There's one on there that's fairly near to me that wanted £950 for it about half a year ago and has now put it up to £1500, pretty mank condition too :lol:

Trevanion":1z5h3ck6 said:
Y I know it doesn't exactly fit in your £500 budget but sometimes it doesn't hurt to push the envelope a bit if it means you end up with something good.
Unfortunately £500~ would be me pushing it up to the tippy toppy of my budget, but ill keep an eye out for then, its another name to watch for used.
Im not wanting for any small business to go under but i am anticipating a bunch of small workshops selling up due to c-19 so ill be keeping a hard watch for one now more than in the past

Wow crazy prices! Only picked mine up 6 months back on gumtree. Up here we’re a little behind the time’s on eBay. Looks like I got lucky. If you’re electrical minded a three phase machine is easy to convert, the 352 I picked up was three phase, a £70 inverter and a few hours work and It was all working.

F.

A 1ph one did come up locally in really good nick a few weeks ago for £450 but it needed to switch replaced. I messaged him today as just got payed but its gone, i imagine thats the only one ill see for a while but i have patience unless i can find something on par but still cheap

Back