Old Bandsaw Blade Uses.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamoF

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I've got a 3tpi 3/4" blade that's badly kinked so I've replaced it. I'm now sitting looking at the old blade, which actually is still quite new and sharp, and wondering if there's anything I can use it for?

Anyone cut one up for anything? I was thinking possibly a parting tool for the lathe? I'm looking for creative ideas :)

Thanks

Damo

European-type frame saw.

Turning saw - maybe if a narrower blade.

Staircase saw, ie for sides of long housings, (the treads and risers in the case of stairs, ourselves etc).

Don't know name, but similar saw used to make guide cut for ripping.

Cut into lengths and then grind down for blades for cutting gauges, marking knives, scratch stocks etc

Cracking ideas, extreme hoopla! For me even a normal hoopla would be extreme. I like the idea of a stair saw actually, though I don't know when I'd use it... Maybe for the wall :)

It's likely tough enough for a nice wee marking knife and it'd be interesting to make.

Thanks folks

D

I've always wondered if you can make one of those Shinto rasps with an old blade. e.g. cut into short lengths, and then bolted together

I've always wondered if you can make one of those Shinto rasps with an old blade. e.g. cut into short lengths, and then bolted together
It would depend on the tpi of the bandsaw blade as well as it’s width. Shinto rasps are probably about 12 tpi+ and ¾“. So it’s not very likely, but an interesting idea.

IF you have one, broken band saw blades really can be used on some scroll saws - to very good effect IME. Definitely the Excalibur/Pegas 16, 21, and 30 inch models (I have an Ex 21), and quite probably, on at least some other machines too. Depends on the blade clamping system used.

Cut the blade but leave it full length. Fit a T handle to each end. Dig a pit. Roll a tree trunk over the pit and send one of your family down below. Stand astride the tree trunk, lower one end of the blade into the pit. Then the 2 of you make planks.

Or not.

Back