okay - how many types of Mitre plane are there ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houtslager

Established Member
Reaction score
well I know of four -
1 L-N in maganese bronze
2 K-H no 11 in Steel
3 K-H Improved no11 in steel / brass (?)
4 Classic planesno 11 in tool steel or MB

so, does anyone on here KNOW of other makers of a MITRE PLANE ?

go on ALF prove you DON'T ! :p

Here is one more :D
Flachwinkel_seite.jpg

regards
Rolf

I've seen at least a dozen made by the infill makers... one guy making around half of them......

er... sorry for the naive question. I understand that mitre planes are relatively large low-angle planes (that of course do not cut mitres), designed to work on whatever tortured end grain but... can somebody tell me the reason of their (generally) rather different structure ? In other words, why do they look like boxes (some of them don't even have a proper handle) instead of looking like a "normal" Bailey ?

Thanks for your patient explanations :D !
Cheers
Alberto

2 words - shooting board.

That's the main one, anyway :)

Oh, by the by, the L-N mitre plane's ductile iron - only the cap's manganese bronze. Not that it matters.

Alberto...

their weird looks are because they're made to be used when laying on their sides; an integral part of a shooting board set up. The sides are machined to be exactly at 90 deg to the sole, guaranteeing that the edges they're used to refine end up at 90 deg to the face..
Oh.. a little correction... they shoot awesome mitres too... when used with an appropriate board...

got it. Thanks.

Alberto

P.S. I guess that using them to smooth alooong the grain... is not forbidden anyway !

P.S. I guess that using them to smooth alooong the grain... is not forbidden anyway !

Not at all... technically they'd be every bit as capable as any other low angle bench plane; the only difficulty I can see is one of ergonomics...

Back