"Ok who folded the plans the wrong way?"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying haggis

Established Member
Reaction score
1621187419365.jpeg

Whereabouts is it FH? I reckon he was watching his children playing with Jenga blocks. Either that or he was on something. Better than the boring straight up and down tower blocks I suppose.

Whereabouts is it FH? I reckon he was watching his children playing with Jenga blocks. Either that or he was on something. Better than the boring straight up and down tower blocks I suppose.

My guess would be Sim City or something similar ;)

I bet the lifts get confusing and giving directions must be a nightmare can you imagine drawing someone a map. Don't ever come home drunk! That said I love it

it's in singapore. this one is View attachment 110688near shangai

You're correct it's called "The Interlace" The Interlace - Wikipedia

I honestly thought it was something someone had photoshopped.

Thanks for posting it.

The pyramid looking one is in Shanghai I found this about it

This jaw-droppingly wacky pyramid-shaped building is an 18-storey residential structure situated in Kunshan, a city near Shanghai. It stands at 330 feet tall and was designed by Masters’ Architectural Office. The Shanghai-based firm said it was inspired by parkour, an urban activity much-loved by Chinese city dwellers that sees people running and jumping between buildings.

The pyramids get my vote:
  • every apartment has some outside space, and
  • construction doesn't need tower cranes for construction or working at any more than a one floor height

It makes my former workplace in Basel seem tame. Watching the window cleaners was interesting - so how they get on with those above is anyone's guess!

image_2.jpg

My wife used to work there too - in fact she was with Actelion before that building was started. She was with them as "Facilities Manager" during the period when they grew from less than 300 employees to over 1200 in about 2 years (I think those numbers are about right). She was always roaring round Basel looking for offices to rent, setting up a "Portacabin City", etc, etc. At one time she was responsible for making sure that up to 30+ new employees per month had a roof over their heads, a desk, something to sit on, a PC, and a phone! She says it was a great time (me, I just worked with aeroplanes all the time, and didn't understand what was going on)! She's retired now.

Small world eh?

And just to add to that comment, when I saw the OP pic, I thought it was probably Singapore - we lived there for 5 years (before she was at Actelion). IF I'm right, that OP pic is of a complex on the LH side of the "ECP" (East Coast Parkway) as you leave the city centre on the way to Changi Airport.

How about This one in London? The pictures really don't do it justice, the whole building messes with your idea of perspective.

Found the following on the Web;

M by Montcalm is a 23-story hotel near Old Street tube station in Shoreditch, London. It was designed by architects Squire and Partners and delivered in collaboration with Executive Architects 5 Plus. It was completed July 2015.

The unusual building design was based on the proximity of the hotel to Moorfields Eye Hospital, which sits opposite it. The architects suggest that the facade ‘…expresses the idea of the optical and the visual’ and takes inspiration from the hypnotic, illusionary artwork of Bridget Riley.

The building is expressed by conflicting patterns of transparency, opacity and solidity, and includes confusing angles that break down the geometry of the underlying structure. Vertical and diagonal lines create a visual effect of depth and movement that appear to contradict the buildings actual form. At the lower levels, the building skin is lifted on a visually disorientating slant to reveal the hotel lobby, public bar and restaurant.

44003833.jpg

Back