Ok to mount a dust extractor horizontally?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a little axminster high volume-low pressure extractor.
In normal use, it has the inlet on the side opposite the motor and the outlet perpendicular to the inlet.
Is there any reason I could not mount it so the inlet is upwards, the impeller running in a horizontal plane and the outlet horizontal?
I would need to raise it off whatever it stood on a little so as not to block the motor rear vents.
It'd make my ducting more convenient... but I suspect the answer will be "no - dust in motor" or "no - impeller won't work properly" or even "no - everything will wear oddly and shake to bits".
Anyway, interested in views, and even more interested if someone has actually done this.

I've changed the plane of motor / fan units for dust collectors many times over many years. I wouldn't even think of it being an issue.

Like you say, just make sure the motor fan has open access to air to keep cool.

I re purposed a blower like you have described to build my Thien separator and have had no problems with it in almost daily use for several years now.
Go for it.

Back