Ok to mount a dust extractor horizontally?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a little axminster high volume-low pressure extractor.
In normal use, it has the inlet on the side opposite the motor and the outlet perpendicular to the inlet.
Is there any reason I could not mount it so the inlet is upwards, the impeller running in a horizontal plane and the outlet horizontal?
I would need to raise it off whatever it stood on a little so as not to block the motor rear vents.
It'd make my ducting more convenient... but I suspect the answer will be "no - dust in motor" or "no - impeller won't work properly" or even "no - everything will wear oddly and shake to bits".
Anyway, interested in views, and even more interested if someone has actually done this.

I've changed the plane of motor / fan units for dust collectors many times over many years. I wouldn't even think of it being an issue.

Like you say, just make sure the motor fan has open access to air to keep cool.

I re purposed a blower like you have described to build my Thien separator and have had no problems with it in almost daily use for several years now.
Go for it.

Latest posts

Back