OK so exactly what is the difference between a Festool TS55F and earlier models?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JobandKnock

Amateur curmudgeon
Reaction score
I've been a plunge/rail saw user for pushing 20 years, having started out with a Hilti on a Festool track, then a TS55, then a TS75 and more recently a Makita DSP600 cordless (I still have all of these four). My (original) TS55 is now very long in the tooth at about 11 years and three base plates, so I'm considering a new saw. Festool have recently brought out a new TS55, the "F" model, which is supposed to have more torque. But just what does this mean in the real world? TBH my old Fes is a bit gutless. I've used the firm's Makita SP6000s and they aren't much better, the Mafell MT55cc is a bit pricey and I've yet to come across a long term user of the Bosch GKT55CE so I don't know if it is good, bad or on different - the DWs are out because they won't fit my tracks.

So, does the team know or have experience of the new Festool and are there real world gains to be made by switching, or would I be as well off going to base plate no.4 on "old faithfull"?

I don't think the F model has more torque, but it does have a thinner blade and riving knife that Festool claims increases the cutting speed. The original TS 55 saws have a 2.2mm blade and riving knife, while the F model has a 1.8mm blade and riving knife. Because of the riving knife, the blades are not compatible between versions.

I have the hkc55 with has a thinner kerf blade, but that blade will deflect where a 2.2mm blade does not in certain types of cut. I would rather have paid more to get a more powerful motor, instead of festool getting over their slightly under power problem by giving us a thin kerf blade.

The thinner kerf also means I have to carry a separate set of tracks for my ts75.

Cheers ed

Latest posts

Back