Ok, it's a big chisel.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've finally got it ground back and sharp.

DSCN0740s.jpg

The back is flat where it needs to be ....

DSCN0738s.jpg

DSCN0718s.jpg

... it's come quite a long way back.

It behaves beautifully Jim - it's a real joy to use. I'll say it again; it's a big chisel.

DSCN0741s.jpg

Top job there Richard!!

I just knew you were the correct chap to be the future guardian of this huge lump of steel!

And...you are the only one I know who has managed to get the Extra Extra Course plate!! :mrgreen:

Watch out with flat bevels you know...it may be catching! :wink:

Jim

Very nicely done Richard. I saw it before tuning and it showed buckets of promise - for one so old and so 'big' it's amazing it had seen so little use. Very impressed with the sharpening, and your comments re the steel are rather interesting too. I suspect it will take an edge far beyond its intended use. Wonder why Sorby... I have 3 Lockwoods somewhat later but of similar form and I know Lockwood was acquired by Sorby, but as this is unmarked surely it could come from one of many?
My biggest Lockwood is 1" (humble I know) but as I assume it is really a framing chisel, it makes a remarkably good parer.
Single bevel... so just the one then? What happened, run out of ideas??

I had a beautiful 2" J. Sorby firmer - it was huge. The thing that irritates me 20yrs later is that the tea leaf who stole it was someone I knew and worked with........and that they they are probably using it to stir paint or dig small holes in their garden.

phil.p":bylf1jms said:
I had a beautiful 2" J. Sorby firmer - it was huge. The thing that irritates me 20yrs later is that the tea leaf who stole it was someone I knew and worked with........and that they they are probably using it to stir paint or dig small holes in their garden.

That would be...probably digging large holes in their garden surely! :mrgreen:

Jim

Back