OK, I give up... What's 'switch-hitting' in cricket?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
I suppose as an Englishman, I should be ashamed to say I don't know, but then I've never been a cricketeer. So is Switching, the same as in baseball, when facing a left-hand delivery; the batsman choosing to bat left handed too? (If he/she can?)

Or is it summat to do with the stumps the batsman decided to defend, when he took his guard (or whatever they call it) and changing it in mid-over?
Surely, if a batsman is ambidextrous, the bowler should know about it, so hard cheese. Live with it!
And as for throwing the ball! Well... Really. It's just not cricket is it?
(Despite being in complete ignorance of the more arcane rules of cricket, I do know a throw as opposed to a proper delivery!)

And if Ronnie O'Sullivan can get away with switch-cueing, and a bowler can 'hide the seam' or send down Yorkers or full-tosses at a moment's notice, why can't a batting person use switch-hitting at will?
We're going to lose anyway.

Oh please roll on Wimbledon, so I can switch off the TV!

8)

Batsman changes hands just as ball is delivered, I.E. right hander swaps to left hander.

CHJ":1vorzy77 said:
Batsman changes hands just as ball is delivered, I.E. right hander swaps to left hander.

Thanks CH.

All's fair in love and war (and cricket). Can't see what all the fuss is about on Yahoo. Especially as I said, a bowler can deliver a Yorker or Full-Toss as and when it pleases! What's the difference?

Funny old game!
:D

Benchwayze":39fivebp said:
a bowler can deliver a Yorker or Full-Toss as and when it pleases! What's the difference?

Funny old game!
:D

The former (Yorker) is OK as a delivery, a full toss is unlikely to please unless it's a slow one. I should know I bowled enough of 'em, full tosses that is. :oops: Not to be confused with a Beamer, which is very very naughty indeed.

Switching hands is a valid ploy and very useful.... unless you cock it up in which case you tend to look a bit of a berk.

Nod, nod!

Of course no one ever complained about Trueman's full tosses. Not even the batsmen who survived! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just don't see the appeal of cricket though. I have played in my youth but not well. I can watch it for an hour or so, but if it gets too slow, I turn off, and go and make some sawdust! But I really had never heard about switch-hitting in the game. On Yahoo, no one actually explained exactly what was happening. I thought it might have something to do with horizontal PT! :mrgreen:

Ahhh! Studders, I see ... I meant what's the difference between a bowler 'switching' delivery and a Batter switching stroke.
Why make one illegal and not the other? I really must pay more attention.. (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) :mrgreen:

The reason that it is unfair to the bowler (and his team) is that he will have set his field to suit a right-handed batsman, then suddenly finds himself bowling to a left-hander, meaning his field settings are all wrong. (And, obviously, there's no opportunity to change them given that the 'switch' occurs just as the ball is delivered)

Sad, me?.......

Paul

I've always liked the idea of cricket, but it seams to take ages for anything to happen. The bowler bowls, batsman knocks it to the ground, keeper picks it up and then the fielding team have a quick fans of pass.

Saintsman":18kljq7k said:
The reason that it is unfair to the bowler (and his team) is that he will have set his field to suit a right-handed batsman, then suddenly finds himself bowling to a left-hander, meaning his field settings are all wrong. (And, obviously, there's no opportunity to change them given that the 'switch' occurs just as the ball is delivered)

Sad, me?.......

Paul

Wot a shame! Never mind eh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sad... Not me neither! Not never! I'd say it would liven up the game. :mrgreen:

Deserter - a sure cure for anyone who thinks there's not much happening between runs and wickets might learn a lot by listening to the commentary of Henry Blofeld.
A typical observation may go something like:

" .. and here comes .... oh, who is it? It's Lewis. Thank you Aggers. A rather soporific pigeon is flying away from us toward the Warwick Road End and very sensibly too. Here's Lewis. Two slips and a gully. He's up to the crease, he's there, he bowls and oh my goodness me. That was certainly nothing to write home about and not to be mentioned in dispatches. He's a long way wide of the mark and Bandish Kampapoor simply treats it with the contempt it deserves. He does a spot of gardening, has a little bit of a disco dance, shoulders arms and there is no run. The gas works are flying at half mast again today and in front of them I can see more of those wonderful litter bins they provide here in their resplendent green livery ..."

For me, switch hitting is hitting the off switch on the radio rather than suffer CMJ when Henry has handed over to him. It's like the sun going in.

Richard T":2yzh6yrx said:
Deserter - a sure cure for anyone who thinks there's not much happening between runs and wickets might learn a lot by listening to the commentary of Henry Blofeld.
A typical observation may go something like:

" .. and here comes .... oh, who is it? It's Lewis. Thank you Aggers. A rather soporific pigeon is flying away from us toward the Warwick Road End and very sensibly too. Here's Lewis. Two slips and a gully. He's up to the crease, he's there, he bowls and oh my goodness me. That was certainly nothing to write home about and not to be mentioned in dispatches. He's a long way wide of the mark and Bandish Kampapoor simply treats it with the contempt it deserves. He does a spot of gardening, has a little bit of a disco dance, shoulders arms and there is no run. The gas works are flying at half mast again today and in front of them I can see more of those wonderful litter bins they provide here in their resplendent green livery ..."

For me, switch hitting is hitting the off switch on the radio rather than suffer CMJ when Henry has handed over to him. It's like the sun going in.
=D>

Back