Ok - Bootfairs this weekend...what'dya get?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
A couple of "almost full" bootfairs down in Tropical Kent this weekend...between amazing showers of hailstones the size of marbles!

An interesting exercise for me in the "roll-over-shop-for-free" technique.......

I shall explain. The idea is you go to one bootfair...or early to the same one...get stuff really good and really cheap and then sell it at the same fair or the next day (if Saturday one) for much more to get the money to buy the bits you want to keep.

So...the Saturday haul was rather slim but fruitful....

DSC_0992.JPG

Two rather large two-man saws for a tenner and a lovely little coffin plane for 50p....that's all!

Now...the larger one has some ferocious molars!!!!....

DSC_0999.JPG

Crosscut...and by....

DSC_0997.JPG

...anyone know this maker? I need this to quietly cut up a fallen walnut in the woods at the bottom of my garden...which has "sort of fallen" into the golf course land. 8) I think it will reveal a nice root burr!

Now the smaller one/two man job....

DSC_0998.JPG

...was the "roll-over"...all I did was get rid of the surface rust...fill holes with woodworm killer (just in case)...polish the handle and Annie sold it for £15...a £10 profit for the "tool fund"......

The little coffin is a "1 1/2"....nothing else...no maker...but the iron is a superb I.Sorby tapered...

DSC_0993.JPG

...a fine little scrubber indeed!

DSC_0994.JPG

...and after a little tweaking and since we were talking about the difficulty of yew the other day...I tested it out on a bit...

DSC_0988.JPG

Of course...it didn't do that "out of the boot" but just a little regrind and hone did the job...I really am getting to like these old woodies!

So...the "roll-over" day (today) meant that I had another tenner to spend...but Murphy's Law dictates that if you have more dosh you will find less stuff!

DSC_1005.JPG

So...another rather nice digital thermometer with K2 thermocouple...goes up to over 900 degrees so ideal for my kiln-hardening temperature verification....Only £3.00

DSC_1010.JPG

Then we have a really nice grinding wheel....

DSC_1007.JPG

It's remarkably fine...but it has a huge gouge (pun intended) down the middle...but shouldn't take long to sort out. It's quite a large diameter and good quality so could come in handy....and for only 50p, worth a punt.

Then I was amazed to find two more of these....

DSC_1011.JPG

Regular readers of the bootfair threads will remember I found two exactly the same last year...and we were postulating what they were used for. The lady today verified they were from an old washing machine mangle....so mystery solve or rather confirmed! I need some more anyway...they are exceedingly useful!

I always pick up natural stones on the off chance...ever since I found a coticule for 50p so these two...

DSC_1008.JPG

...were snapped up for 50p for both...and this may prove to be the "find of the day". Early crud removal from the boxed one revealed a greenish natural stone with reddish streaks...and what looks like a rosewood box....more on this later! :mrgreen:

Oh....and I got a Roberts radio....

DSC_1006.JPG

....which is handy as I don't have any of those! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

All added up to cost...um...nothing!!! And I got change!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

What did you all get?

Jim

T

I managed to keep away

As I have 2 roller cabs to build

They are taking ages :roll: and I hate painting :roll:

Who's idea was it anyway ?

O it was mine :lol: 8)

Looks like a good day out Jim , like the little woodey :wink:

Hi Jim

I've been looking out for a nice honing stone, but not having much chance to get to the "local" bootfairs I find myself, somewhat cautiously, looking to the bay.

Also, a word of caution. I think i'd be a little more cautious in the "bought this for 50p and sold it for £50" remarks, unless you're declaring profits on your Self Assessment return. HMRC are casting an ever beadier eye on the net, it has already started with e-bay and other such trading places, and you never know who is looking on an open forum.

Cheers

Karl

nice bits there jim, i went abit crazy this weekend, spent alot of dosh!

did end up with some cool stuff and lots of ebay fodder

got something very similar to this for £20
29847_29846_LB114E22_PS-1.jpg

also im not sure but i think jacob may have been shifting some of his gear in somerset, pics later ;)

adidat

p.s you have a pm jim

Jim,

I think that the 2 saws are both 1 man-ers. The top one is Great American Tooth pattern- there is a recent thread on sharpening one somewhere. A search should reveal it- there cant be many!

Mark

Hi Guys...

Yes Allen...the woodie is a little darling. I am looking for a candidate to lignum sole...but I am still not sure what to choose yet...this one came close....or even brass sole....mmmm thinks.... #-o

Yes Karl...I do declare stuff on self assessment...but I earn such a pittance I think they owe me money...and in any case...I ain't parting with this little baby now I have taken the dirty slime off....

DSC_1014.JPG

Now...I ain't no super expert but even Rob would probably agree that geographically and geologically this little gem probably came from somewhere in Leicestershire and the Amazon...

DSC_1015.JPG

:wink:

Ah...yes...the FleaBay studio Chris! I use the sunlight and a large white, silver or gold reflector...depending on my mood but there is no doubt that a setup like that is a handy bit of kit on dark nights and in the British summer! :mrgreen:

Yes Mark...I think you are right about the one manner nature of these behemoths...

I did test both of them on an ash log before I parted with the second one...just to see which one cut the best and Annie was on the other end so I guess it could be called a one man one swimbo saw! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It certainly is vicious though! Cut through like nobody's business chucking the chips out as it should and I haven't sharpened her yet....so the "SWIMBO SAW" is now going to get a facelift and a test out on some good old English Brown stuff! I think even I can't screw this sharpening job up! Eh Pedder!? (homer)

Cheers

Jim

OK I think you lot might hate me!

I had to drive to drive past the biggest boot sale in our area this morning on the way to doing some driving assessments so decided to leave early and have a trudge round on the way.

My first acquisition was a nice Marples chisel for 50p

DSCF4691.jpg

Followed by some mitre glue - there was one set on the table which I bought for 50p, the lady then said I've got some more if you want them so ended up getting five sets for £2:50

DSCF4692.jpg

Then I came across a lady and her daughter setting up and spied the young lass putting out a Makita Box as below

DSCF4697.jpg

On opening it was quite surprised to see its contents, I asked how much and the young girl said "Mum, how much for that box with the yellow drilly thing in" - the answer was £25 - after a little negotiation I walked off with it for £22!

It Contained.........

Are you ready for this??

An almost new Dewalt 625 Router in perfect order, almost as new with spanner, guide bush but missing its fence (I have one anyway) as well as a wooden box containing four new/unused Titman 1/2" twin flute tct cutters.

DSCF4699.jpg

So all in all I was a very happy bunny! :D :D

Dodge!!!

You rat!

DSCF4699.jpg

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So...a lesson to all the "only DVD and toy" doubters....exactly how long do you think that would have been on that stall had you not been there exactly when she took it out mate?

:wink:

A classic example of what I have said all along...you have to get there first...first thing....when it opens....etc....

I was pipped by about 1 second yesterday and missed buying a Danish grinder...tiny little thing for gouges...

I picked it up...said to the bloke "how much?" and he said "this lady just bought that mate...and this little old lady about 130 years old waltzed up with a huge grin on her face and said..."and only a quid...better luck next time son!"

I have to admit...as I spat bullets on the way to the next row that I wished for a huge fizz bang when she got home to wipe that smile off her face! :oops: :oops:

I'll probably go to hell for that thought! But it just goes to show what the competition is like for tools these days now that old brown oak furniture and ceramics have gone out of fashion! :roll:

Jim

I will be honest I've never been a great boot fair fan, and my wife hates them but after my planes from the tractor fair and now todays booty I am beginning to think that I may start visiting a bit more often!

Maybe I have just had beginners luck :mrgreen:

I think I'm definitely going have to start going to boot fairs as soon as they open if this is the case. I don't think a Makita case like that would hang around for long on any boot fairs here though as it is probably likely to be the only power tool that isn't an no name tool that probably cost as much new as it would to buy from a fair.

That's shocking Roger. Nearly as bad as Jim's Quad amplifier gloat ! (IIRC it was Jim - but it was a couple of years ago now).

Some typically impressive hauls on the forum this week. Me, envious? I seem to be coming home with less and less, which is not necessarily a bad thing...

My baggings this week is a 22" No 4 Tyzack & Sons saw

e2ec0353.jpg

c401d806.jpg

5edf9106.jpg

I am most intrigued by your sharpening stones Jim, please let us know how you get on with the new one :)

DTR":1yvyngfw said:
I am most intrigued by your sharpening stones Jim, please let us know how you get on with the new one :)

Hi DTR

Just a preliminary test....but it is very hard indeed...a nightmare to flatten hence the dip is still there.

I should think that it is quite old...maybe 100 years? I am almost certain that the "box" is Brazilian rosewood....and if so it is from the days when such wood was prized but not enough to worry about using a block 11" x 3" x 1 1/2" for holding a stone.

Mind you...if it is a Charnley...I guess it would not have been a cheap buy even then?

It didn't take long to get all the oil/Diesel/napalm out that was plastered all over it so I think it is not that absorbent and it just about makes a slurry using a similar grade synthetic stone.

I then set about polishing the flat of an old chisel and it renders it a mirror finish relatively quickly. A microbevel on the bevel resulted in one of the sharpest edges I have achieved on a natural stone.

So my guess it is what it seems....all the characteristics point that way.

The other stone is slightly smaller, was broken about 2/3 of the way across and has been glued back together slightly out of line. I can't see why anyone would go to all that trouble for a cheap stone. It is not a Charnley candidate however, being almost the colour of pure cocoa chocolate. It is very fine indeed and as hard as the green one if not harder.

I haven't cleaned it up properly yet...just removed the oil and again...it has all but gone very quickly leaving no weeping residue.

Will let you know how I get on tomorrow as I shall spend more time tarting them up.

I love the handle on the Tyzack saw.....how old do you think it is? Does it have the address on it?

Cheers

Jimi

Lovely stuff chaps, as ever;

Dodge":3247v3ss said:
OK I think you lot might hate me!

You're right... we hate you!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I seem to have lost my mojo, temporarily, I hope, I managed only a couple of old books and a five volume set of engineering books from way back by Arthur Judge.

Other than that, not a tool to be seen. :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

El.

Roger, you jammy dodger!

I was going to give up on boot fairs after visiting 23 last year and coming out with pretty much nothing (I spent more on admissions than what I did on stuff :roll: )

But maybe I'll give it another go...

jimi43":2svx4we6 said:
DTR":2svx4we6 said:

Hi DTR

Just a preliminary test....but it is very hard indeed...a nightmare to flatten hence the dip is still there.

Doesn't sound like a Charnley then - those flatten quite easily IME. I wonder what it is?

BugBear

jimi43":1g7i8mwe said:
Hi Guys...

Yes Mark...I think you are right about the one manner nature of these behemoths...

I did test both of them on an ash log before I parted with the second one...just to see which one cut the best and Annie was on the other end so I guess it could be called a one man one swimbo saw! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It certainly is vicious though! Cut through like nobody's business chucking the chips out as it should and I haven't sharpened her yet....so the "SWIMBO SAW" is now going to get a facelift and a test out on some good old English Brown stuff! I think even I can't screw this sharpening job up! Eh Pedder!? (homer)

Cheers

Jim

Yep, That's very similar to the one I just got from Ebay and posted on here https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/sharpening-great-american-tooth-pattern-saw-t60184.html about how to sharpen her up.

I'd be very interested to see how you get on with it Jimi. I've sharpened it (to the best of my limited skills) and it does cut but I think it should be a lot better than it is so I'm probably still a bit off the mark with the sharpening. I think I also need to do some work setting the teeth a little better. Still, it works better than the bow saw that I had so that's a plus.

Dave

mark aspin":3izuirt8 said:
Roger, you jammy dodger!
I was going to give up on boot fairs after visiting 23 last year and coming out with pretty much nothing (I spent more on admissions than what I did on stuff :roll: )
But maybe I'll give it another go...
They charge buyers? :shock: Don't think think get away with that around here!

Back