Ok - Bootfairs this weekend...what'dya get?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to be an avid boot fair fan too Jimi. So much so that I would refuse an offered pint late on the Saturday evening so not to feel groggy for the Sunday morning. Yes sad, but that's how keen I was not to get there late and miss out.

I was up with the larks to attend and rumage through the junk of others, I loved it, found some bargains but nothing in the way of the Drilly thing. That must be a one in a million find. Don't you just love mums and daughters selling tools? I reckon when I pop my clogs, my lifes collection of tools (hand and power) will be sold by SWMBO for the change in the first interested parties pocket.

Most of the stuff I bought lay in my store shed for months even years without seeing the light of day again, although I do have a nice collection of old screwdrivers and box handled chisels. In the end, i had collected so much stuff I had to take it all back to the bootfair and sell it off. I made some good money on the days I attended but can't say if I made a profit if all the monies over the years were added up. So not to lose face I will say I broke even.

I still attend the odd fair but I am on the wagon still, I keep my hard earned in my sky now....unless of course I can find an almost new out of the wrapper Elu for tuppence ha penny.

My weekend was spent making drawer boxes from 12mm birch ply to fit our kitchen dresser, shame I made them a 1/2" wider than they needed to be...................measure twice cut once......Ok, I forgot that one (homer)

Enjoy

Must be lucky this way then, there are 3 main ones and several smaller ones - all free for buyers. I'd definitely not bother if they charged and I guess many others would feel the same.

bugbear":e2yi2nax said:
jimi43":e2yi2nax said:
DTR":e2yi2nax said:
I am most intrigued by your sharpening stones Jim, please let us know how you get on with the new one :)

Hi DTR

Just a preliminary test....but it is very hard indeed...a nightmare to flatten hence the dip is still there.

Doesn't sound like a Charnley then - those flatten quite easily IME. I wonder what it is?

BugBear

Hi BB

This is contrary to all the information I have managed to find on the Charnley Forest stone.

Most of the information comes from the Sweeney Todd brigade CLICK HERE FOR EXAMPLE and in every reference to the stone it is considered from hard to very very hard depending on the author.

Slurry is almost impossible as the slurry ends up being from the slurry stone rather than the Charnley Forest but can be raised from a diamond plate. Flattening takes hours rather than minutes....according to the historical references I have seen.

I was outside last night for about two hours with a flat slab and am still only half way flattening.

These stones are notoriously hard to identify...hence all the opposing information on the Net about them. I have tested the flattened part of this one on an old chisel and it won't grind a primary (unless you have a few hundred years)...so definitely a finishing stone...

I will regrind another basketcase candidate later and hone it to see how it finishes.

Will let you know.

Jim

dh7892":2rh7skfg said:
jimi43":2rh7skfg said:
Hi Guys...

Yes Mark...I think you are right about the one manner nature of these behemoths...

I did test both of them on an ash log before I parted with the second one...just to see which one cut the best and Annie was on the other end so I guess it could be called a one man one swimbo saw! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It certainly is vicious though! Cut through like nobody's business chucking the chips out as it should and I haven't sharpened her yet....so the "SWIMBO SAW" is now going to get a facelift and a test out on some good old English Brown stuff! I think even I can't screw this sharpening job up! Eh Pedder!? (homer)

Cheers

Jim

Yep, That's very similar to the one I just got from Ebay and posted on here https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/sharpening-great-american-tooth-pattern-saw-t60184.html about how to sharpen her up.

I'd be very interested to see how you get on with it Jimi. I've sharpened it (to the best of my limited skills) and it does cut but I think it should be a lot better than it is so I'm probably still a bit off the mark with the sharpening. I think I also need to do some work setting the teeth a little better. Still, it works better than the bow saw that I had so that's a plus.

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for posting the link...saves me the job of searching.

The saw I have is quite sharp already...although the surface rust has taken the edge off slightly. I will probably just follow the original cuts which are quite visible on this size of tooth and just restore the edge a tad.

On trial...once started (HA!!!)....and once Annie got the idea of how a Push-Me-Pull-You walks.... :roll: ....we were fair whizzing along. Alfie (the special needs puppy)....thought it great fun and came perilously close to the sliding teeth a few times while trying to catch shavings mid-air! :mrgreen:

Since you are only in Orpington...we will have to meet up in the summer and perhaps decimate some of Kent's tropical rain forest....what'dya think? 8)

Jim

Hi BB

I removed the larger stone from the box...it wasn't glued just stuck with crud...and spent all day flattening it.

It is so hard that it polished the concrete paving slab! In the end I resorted to plan B and brought in the artillery....

DSC_0051.JPG

That did the trick but it took a whole two hours...I tried to ensure that the stone did not get too hot...the fear of cracking it was on my mind!

But all was well and I even flattened the other one on it...which was considerably easier!

DSC_1018.JPG

The small one is almost certainly some form of slate...it is very close to the Welsh slate stones that I have a few of...like the Yellow Lake...but much harder!

The larger green/reddish one close up shows a band of red and speckles of red....

DSC_1019.JPG

Anyway...while I go digging further...it is now ready for honing....

DSC_1021.JPG

I've taken it down to 120 grit finish first to leave it fairly fresh and see what it does then if necessary, I will make it finer.

What do you think mate?

Jim

jimi43":1xzzm8qw said:
These stones are notoriously hard to identify...hence all the opposing information on the Net about them.

Did you get round to investing a tenner in this?

hones.jpg

Was it any use?

Back