Oily wood sealing/ finishing ... ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isco

Reaction score
Hi there,
As a newbie to this forum please excuse this post if its not in the right department .......

Basically, ..... the problem is that (3-4 years ago) I finished some lengths of Iroko (window seat/cill) with Teak oil, ....... have previously done other pieces with no problem, ............ but this job isn't working out, ...... as the teak oil doesn't seem to have properly hardened up after all this time, ...... and is still sort of tacky!! ...... Dry to the touch obviously , but papers or cushions seem to stick to the surface if left there for any period of time!

Anyone out there got any ideas where I went wrong or what to do about it now?

Got a horrible feeling that I've got to somehow strip it down to bare wood and redo, .... but how to seal it to stop it happening again?
And how come this Iroko is misbehaving when other pieces have hardened up lovely??

Any advice gratefully received,

Thanks,
ISCO.

Mr Isco. Have you tried rubbing it down with a solvent; turps, or meths, or white spirit, or acetone using a course pad or heavy rag. I don't know which will do it. It may be that the oil was affected by heat in your workshop, or damaged in some way. If you manage to clean the surface off, let it stand a while and recoat with fresh oil. If you put it on too thick or too many coats on top of each other before they dried it could go this way. Best Wishes. Hope you find an answer.

Hi two thumbs,
re: teak oil finish ...........
Thanks for your input, ........ you've raised a couple of points that I hadn't thought of, ....... namely that the oil could have degraded or something from standing in an occasionally hot workshop prior to using (wasn't aware it could get affected like this?) ........ and the other point of maybe I did slap it on a bit thick during its application of several coats? ..... (sort of easily done on a length of 30ft or so) ..........

So I reckon the right direction to go is scrape it all off, (argh!) ..... buy some fresh oil, .... and make sure I re-apply several real thin coats after patiently letting them cure in between times!!

Once again ....... thanks for your posting,

isco.

Back