Oilstone ID anyone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
It's not that I'm hoping to raise enough to retire on, but I'd like to know what sort of oilstone this is:

IMG_5281.jpg

It was passed on to me from a relative's effects; it may well have been bought in the thirties.

I think it's a natural stone - as suggested by this chip:

IMG_5282.jpg

It's very hard and fine-grained and gives a decent final edge. It's fairly slow cutting. I know the names of various oilstones but don't have much idea of what name goes with what stone. Can anyone help?

AndyT":pp1xwj3u said:
It's not that I'm hoping to raise enough to retire on, but I'd like to know what sort of oilstone this is:

IMG_5281.jpg

It was passed on to me from a relative's effects; it may well have been bought in the thirties.

I think it's a natural stone - as suggested by this chip:

IMG_5282.jpg

It's very hard and fine-grained and gives a decent final edge. It's fairly slow cutting. I know the names of various oilstones but don't have much idea of what name goes with what stone. Can anyone help?

Everything points to an Arkansas of some kind. Nice!

BugBear

I have a very similar looking stone, which also came to me from a relative. It could date from the 40's. It's very hard, has a chip like yours and leaves a very fine edge. It was gunked up with oil when I got it, but a wash in the dishwasher followed by a little flatenning yielded an excellent stone.

Back